 Local / United States / Hawaii / *32 (-10)
Subject:
LEGO® Brand Retail - Honolulu, HI
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping, lugnet.mediawatch, lugnet.loc.us.hi
Date:
Tue, 9 Jun 2009 00:36:26 GMT

Newest LEGO creation opening at Ala Moana

By Andrew Gomes Advertiser Staff Writer

One of the biggest toy makers in the world — LEGO Group — plans to open a store at Ala Moana Center, (Honolulu, Hawai’i) chock full of the small plastic construction play bricks.

The LEGO Store is scheduled to open July 29 at the mall near Sears in part of the space formerly occupied by Island Snow on the main level.

The 2,604-square-foot store is part of a reinvigorated retail expansion plan by the Danish toy company, which has about 30 U.S. LEGO stores in 19 states and expects to open nine stores this year.

Julie Stern, a LEGO spokeswoman, said Hawai’i was an attractive market because of a considerable number of residents who are among 2.1 million subscribers to the LEGO Club magazine.

“We’re really looking for the markets that have a lot of LEGO kids and LEGO families, and Hawai’i is one of those markets,” she said.

Nelson Yrizarry, co-founder of the LEGO Enthusiasts Association of Hawai’i, said the store will expose hobbyists and general consumers to LEGO sets and pieces not available in local stores that carry limited supplies of LEGO products.

“I think it’s fantastic,” he said of the planned store. “There has been a growing interest in LEGO products all over the world, and having a store right here in Hawai’i will appeal to both local fans and visitors.”

To help promote the store, LEGO plans a grand opening on Aug. 14 with events that are slated to include one of LEGO master builders, Dan Steininger, constructing surfboards at the mall’s Center Stage area. The public is invited to participate in Steininger’s work, which is expected to start at 11 a.m. on Aug. 14 and continue over the next two days until 6 p.m. Aug. 16.

On Aug. 15, LEGO is offering the first 300 customers who spend at least $35 in the store that day a free specially designed LEGO set to construct a humuhumunukunukuapua’a (top secret) and coral.

LEGO Group, a privately owned family business based in Billund, Denmark, is the world’s largest construction toymaker. The company reported about $1.8 billion in sales last year.

The company opened its first LEGO store in 1992 at the Mall of America in Minneapolis. But building the chain was put on hold about 10 years later, after limited growth, to focus on the company’s core business of developing and distributing merchandise.

LEGO resumed its effort to open more LEGO stores about three years ago. All the stores, except for three flagship locations near Disneyland, Disney World and at the Mall of America, are known as “yellow stores” for their predominant color scheme.

The typical store houses about 4 million bricks. Stores also feature a play area, model displays typically from professional builders and hobby groups like LEAHI — the LEGO Enthusiasts Association of Hawai’i — and a wall with pieces available in bulk by the cup.

Like some other LEGO stores, the Hawai’i store will host children’s birthday parties, though not immediately after opening.

The bulk sale wall, known as the pick-a-brick wall, will be especially useful to Roy Gal, a LEAHI member and assistant astronomer at the University of Hawai’i’s Institute for Astronomy who has accumulated an impressive collection of bricks over 14 years as a serious LEGO builder.

“It’s a resource for us because we are always looking to buy more parts,” said Gal, who estimates he has the equivalent of three or four 4-foot-high filing cabinets filled with LEGO pieces in his Waikiki apartment. “It’s cheaper by the cupful.”

Honoluluadvertiser.com

-end of report-

Re: LEGO Decorated Christmas Trees
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.hi
Date:
Tue, 2 Dec 2008 20:14:02 GMT

In lugnet.loc.us.hi, Nelson Yrizarry wrote:

On Nov. 30, 2008, the members of LEAHI gathered to create LEGO ornaments for a Christmas tree to be displayed at Punahou School for the holiday season. We weren’t expecting two trees, but we spent some additional time just building and having fun.

This was a very fun group activity that any LUG can do. Everything on the tree, except for the lights, are made from LEGO elements - the ornaments, the toppers, the garland, and the presents - are all made of LEGO.

A very Merry Christmas to all from the members of LEAHI - the LEGO Enthusiasts Association of Hawaii.

“Big Daddy” Nelson

It sure was fun! We were “limited” by the parts on hand at a school Lego robotics lab, so we had to be a lot more creative using the limited range of parts and colors. I think the more abstract ornaments, especially using gears, wheels, and technic parts are pretty cool.

Roy

Subject:
LEGO Decorated Christmas Trees
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.hi, lugnet.announce.moc
Date:
Tue, 2 Dec 2008 04:05:57 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

On Nov. 30, 2008, the members of LEAHI gathered to create LEGO ornaments for a Christmas tree to be displayed at Punahou School for the holiday season. We weren’t expecting two trees, but we spent some additional time just building and having fun.

This was a very fun group activity that any LUG can do. Everything on the tree, except for the lights, are made from LEGO elements - the ornaments, the toppers, the garland, and the presents - are all made of LEGO.

A very Merry Christmas to all from the members of LEAHI - the LEGO Enthusiasts Association of Hawaii.

“Big Daddy” Nelson

Re: LEAHI display at the 2006 Hawaii FLL Tournament
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.hi
Date:
Sun, 10 Dec 2006 19:47:16 GMT

That’s no small display!!! Wow, what a great idea! Very cool! You have a great imagination.

My JFLL Team went to the FLL State Tournament too, we studied Nano Technology also. I wish I would have done something that cool!

Subject:
LEAHI display at the 2006 Hawaii FLL Tournament
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events, lugnet.loc.us.hi
Date:
Sat, 9 Dec 2006 07:20:26 GMT

Our LUG, LEAHI, put on a small display at the 2006 Hawaii FLL Tournament this past weekend (Dec. 2, 2006) at the University of Hawaii at Manoa’s Campus Center. We had a lot of fun, and impressed a lot of children and adults with our various MOCs.

Since the FLL theme this year was “Nanotechnology”, we came up with the idea of nano-scale (well, maybe microscale) minifigs and robots working inside of a human blood vessel. Together, we formed a 5-foot long MOC called “Capillary Action”:

Of course, what would a display be without a Town? Since it is the Holiday season, we came up with a cool idea for something we named “The Christmas Parade”:

And, of course there were many other brand-new MOCs made for this display, such as Patrick’s “Legcutus of Borg” and “Warp Zone”, and a whole bunch of others, which you will probably see in some upcoming posts:

Aloha!

“Big Daddy” Nelson
www.leahi.org

Re: Hea inoa! (A call to Hawaii AFOLs and LUGNET members)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.hi
Date:
Thu, 7 Sep 2006 23:44:10 GMT

In lugnet.loc.us.hi, Ross Crawford wrote: snip

I believe neither Dan Jezek (Bricklink admin) nor Jin Wong reside in Hawaii any more, but I could be wrong.

ROSCO

I believe you are right, Ross, but I’d still like to hear from them anyways... (it would be nice to see what they’ve been up to.) Thanks! :)

“Big Daddy” Nelson

Re: Hea inoa! (A call to Hawaii AFOLs and LUGNET members)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.hi
Date:
Thu, 7 Sep 2006 23:25:51 GMT

In lugnet.general, Nelson Yrizarry wrote:

  • Tamotsu Maruyama (306)
  • Joel Lucero dela Cruz (453)
  • Dan Jezek (454)
  • Ester Gamache (870)
  • Vanya deJung (990)
  • Joanna Hicks (1226)
  • Aaron Dengler (2011)
  • Jin Wong (2131)
  • Chris Weller (2450)
  • Patrick Yrizarry (2496)
  • Nelson Yrizarry (2497)
  • Jessi Van Swae (2527)

I believe neither Dan Jezek (Bricklink admin) nor Jin Wong reside in Hawaii any more, but I could be wrong.

ROSCO

Subject:
Hea inoa! (A call to Hawaii AFOLs and LUGNET members)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.hi, lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 7 Sep 2006 23:08:37 GMT

Aloha!

This newsgroup seems to be quite inactive and without any posts in the past few years, so I thought I’d make one. (Actually, I wanted to make a post a long time ago, but forgot about this newsgroup.) Auwe!

Anyway, I just wanted to mention a couple of things:

(1) Hawaii AFOLs are alive and well! And... we know that there are more AFOLs out there (after all, someone’s buying up all the clearance sets!)

(2) Currently, there are a dozen LUGNET members who have listed Hawaii as their location. Here is a complete list (w/LUGNET member #’s):
  • Tamotsu Maruyama (306)
  • Joel Lucero dela Cruz (453)
  • Dan Jezek (454)
  • Ester Gamache (870)
  • Vanya deJung (990)
  • Joanna Hicks (1226)
  • Aaron Dengler (2011)
  • Jin Wong (2131)
  • Chris Weller (2450)
  • Patrick Yrizarry (2496)
  • Nelson Yrizarry (2497)
  • Jessi Van Swae (2527)
      I know Aaron and, of course, Patrick. Many of the other members do not seem to post here on LUGNET, or on other LEGO forums. Also, many of the above Members did not include an email address in their profiles (or have an invalid address now), so I hope that they will see this post. I would like to find out if these LUGNET members are still AFOLs, and also if they still live in Hawaii, as we move forward in growing the LEGO community locally.

(3) And, here is an open invitation to everyone else reading this:

If you reside in Hawaii, or if you are an AFOL who just moved to Hawaii, please let us know!! We would be glad to meet you and have you become involved in our LUG.

Feel free to reply to this thread... or you can email me at brickdaddy at gmail dot com

(And, for you Kama’ainas: A translation on the above, in Pidgin):

Aloha! We like meet all da LEGO fans who stay in Hawaii, so if you know somebody li ‘dat, but they no like post stuff on Lugnet or da kine, cause dey shame - you know, da buggah who stay live by you wit all da LEGO stuff inside his house - just tell ‘em, “Hey, brah - No be skedd!” and have dem email me, ok? T’anks ‘eh, brah!!

I hope to hear from you soon. (btw, “Hea inoa” translates roughly to “roll call” in Hawaiian.)

Mahalo nui loa!

“Big Daddy” Nelson Yrizarry
LUGNET Member # 2497
(Soon to be official) Cycle 4 LEGO Ambassador

Re: Does anyone else here live in Hawaii?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.loc.us.hi
Date:
Tue, 24 Sep 2002 02:09:47 GMT

In lugnet.general, Pedro Silva writes:
Snipped.
Pedro

Thanks, Pedro!

Re: Does anyone else here live in Hawaii?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.loc.us.hi
Date:
Mon, 23 Sep 2002 11:23:07 GMT

In lugnet.general, Jordan D. Greer writes:
Thanks for cross-posting the message for me, Jude. Not surprisingly, I was
not aware of the fact that Hawaii has its own (albeit dead) newsgroup.
Thanks for the list, James. By the way, James, do you have to be registered
to search the members' list?

Hi Jordan,

You can search for the members even without being registered as one. The way
I usually do it from the front page is:
#1- Click any "new member"
#2- On top of the page displayed (where it says "People/Members/#", choose
"Members".
#3- Multiple search options appear. Choose as you prefer (I suggest "By
country", since US users are listed for each state individually)

There are other ways to accomplish this, I just use this one 'cause I'm used
to it.

Good luck contacting those Hawaiian AFOLs!  :-)

Pedro

Redisplay Messages:  Brief | Compact