 Local / United Kingdom / 2218
2217  |  2219
Subject:
dash dash space sig (was: Re: UKLUG Prototype online)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Sat, 4 Dec 1999 20:48:00 GMT

In lugnet.loc.uk, Simon Robinson writes:
--
Read this:
CHARTER/PURPOSE:

Strange thing is though that your 'example' appears to consist fo two -'s
followed by a carriage return (no space) :)

Oops, I shouldda posted that from a real newsreader.  I posted it from the
web interface, which strips trailing blanks from lines to reduce line
wrapping problems.

What is this -- code anyway? I've not encountered that before

It's a standard NNTP/Usenet sig thing going back decades (I think).  Your
news posting agent is supposed to put "-- \n" right before inserting your
sig, so that other newsreaders can automatically strip it out when people
reply.

--Todd

[followups to lugnet.off-topic.geek]