 Off-Topic / Geek / 736
Re: dash dash space sig (was: Re: UKLUG Prototype online)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Mon, 6 Dec 1999 11:39:59 GMT

On Sat, 4 Dec 1999 20:48:00 GMT, "Todd Lehman" <lehman@javanet.com>
wrote:

It's a standard NNTP/Usenet sig thing going back decades (I think).  Your
news posting agent is supposed to put "-- \n" right before inserting your
sig, so that other newsreaders can automatically strip it out when people
reply.

"\n-- \n", actually.

I don't think the practice actually goes back multiple decades -
remember, in 1981, people were reading NETnews on 300 baud dumb
terminals.. My guess would be the sigdelimiter convention dates to the
middle 80s. Interestingly, a similar (though by no means equal)
feature is found on FIDOnet.

--Todd

Todd? Your .sigdelimiter is bah-roken. ;)

Jasper