 Local / Canada / Ontario / 184
Re: The Hobby Show 2003 - Toronto, Ontario Canada
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.ca.on
Date:
Sat, 12 Apr 2003 13:30:05 GMT

In lugnet.loc.ca.on, Ka-On Lee writes:
In lugnet.announce, Allan Bedford writes:
f)  We will need large and small creations alike.  For example, over the
years I have seen Meccano creations that soar past 8 and 10 feet in height.
These are great for drawing attention to the booth.

Since you're familiar with The Hobby Show, will you consider joining us at
the LEGO booth this coming November?  :)

Here are some pictures I took at the Meccano booth last year.  These will give
you some idea about the model and table size they have.  They have many
impressive motorized models.

http://home.1asphost.com/cf18/other/hobbyshow1.jpg
http://home.1asphost.com/cf18/other/hobbyshow2.jpg
http://home.1asphost.com/cf18/other/hobbyshow3.jpg

Thanks for the suggestion and the links.  Actually, I'm quite familiar with
the Meccano booth and some of its members.  I was one of the participants
the very first time Meccano was featured at The Hobby Show, back in 1982.

In fact, I had to smile at one of your pics, since you managed to capture a
picture of my dad.  :)
http://www.apotome.com/hobbyshow/meccano.jpg

Here is a link from the Meccano equivalent of LUGNET, showing some more pics
from The Hobby Show:
http://www.memeshadow.net/cmamas/meccano/cmnet02.html

A couple things to note though:

1)  The Meccano folks have been doing this for over 20 years now.  They are
well-established with the show and are invited back each year.

2)  They didn't start off with a booth this big.  I know that in the last
few years they are given a large booth consisting of a couple dozen tables
or thereabout.  Keep in mind that in 1982 we were given 2 tables.  It was
the crowds of people 3 and 4 deep in front of the tables that convinced
everyone that people were interested in seeing these types of models, built
by adult fans.

My hope with the LEGO booth is to likely start off with more than just 2
tables, but not quite as many as what the Meccano group is given each year.
However, it is also my hope and my belief that we can draw significant
crowds to the booth; folks eager to see adult fan created LEGO models.
After all, that's the type of things people come to The Hobby Show to see.
I myself love to see the dioramas and the plastic model kits that have been
built and painted by the adult fans.  The quality and attention to detail
just blow me away.  And I don't build model kits... but I'm amazed by them.

It's my thought that other non-LEGO people would find themselves just as
interested in what we do with our hobby.  And... unlike people hoping to
become Meccano builders, you can still buy LEGO in stores.  So if some of
them wanted to make that leap from looking to building... they can do it.  :)

All the best!
Allan B.