 Local / Canada / Ontario / 185
Re: Do you ever wonder...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.ca.on
Date:
Sun, 13 Apr 2003 20:55:37 GMT

In lugnet.loc.ca.on, Gerard Steenbeek writes:
I actualy have driven to Toronto a lot in the last 19 months so i`m used to
the drive. Actually going there tomorrow to meet with a friend. I have not
beon to an rtlToronto event since i didn`t know they existed until 3 weeks
ago.

I would definately be up for a meeting somewhere closer than toronto.

Sounds like we have three, maybe four already that would be interested in
this.  Should we start a new thread perhaps and see about organizing it?

As far as the hobby show thing, i`m interested, but hard to commit so far in
advance. I have big plans for something made out of technic, it will take a
month or 2 to build, but if i willl keep it together until november is
another question...

Gerard... I hope you don't mind my asking, but maybe you can help me with a
couple of Hobby Show questions...

You mention that November is a long way off to commit to being there.  Do
you feel that trying to organize this later in the year would have been more
effective?  (1)

Was there a better way in which to announce it?  I dumped nearly all the
details into one long LUGNET post.  I'm wondering if it was too much reading
all at once.

Are there any incentives (such as prizes etc.) that might help get people to
express an interest in this?

Did the original announcement sound as though I was asking people to sign in
blood that they would attend?  I hope not.  It was really meant to let
people know this was happening and to get people to email me with an
expressed interest in attending, not a firm commitment.

Any information you can add, from your own point of view, would be greatly
appreciated.

And at the same time, I'd like anyone else who has comments or answers to
the questions above to please respond with your thoughts.  To be honest, the
feedback regarding the show has been light and I'm trying to figure out
why... and most importantly how to generate some interest in this event.
I'd hate to think that we can't find enough people in this area to put up a
great display of models.

Thanks in advance!
Allan B.

(1) I was actually worried that the announcement was coming too late.  I've
been working on this since December of 2002.  Much of that time was spent
contacting the show itself, the LEGO company and also potential vendors for
the show.  I guess my thinking (based on the Meccano booth) was that people
would want as much notice as possible, in order to have time to work on
large projects.