 Announcements / 2040
2039  |  2041
Subject:
The Hobby Show 2003 - Toronto, Ontario Canada
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce, lugnet.general, lugnet.loc.ca.on
Date:
Sat, 5 Apr 2003 23:39:05 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

The Hobby Show 2003 - Toronto, Ontario Canada

For those interested... (and I hope that will be a number of you!) I am
beginning the process of organizing a LEGO builders booth for The Hobby Show
this year in Toronto.  (Nov. 7, 8, 9 / 2003)

For anyone not familiar with this show let me give you a bit of background.
The show takes place at the International Centre in west Toronto, near the
airport.  It has been held annually for almost 25 years.  The show is open
to the public and typically draws 25,000+ visitors over the three day run.
The Hobby Show showcases a variety of hobbies and crafts.  There are two
types of displays/booths that are presented.  The first are companies and/or
stores who buy table space in order to set up displays of products to sell
to the public.  Examples include booths selling plastic model kits, quilting
supplies, RC cars, woodworking supplies etc. The other types of booths are
those set up by clubs/groups/organizations for the purpose of drawing
attention to a particular hobby.  Examples include booths run by model
railroad fans, model building clubs, Meccano builders, model ship builders
etc.  Parts of International Center building used to be airplane hangers, so
the interior space is cavernous.

You can find out more about the show at:
http://www.thehobbyshow.com

or specifically about last year's show at:
http://www.thehobbyshow.com/2002.html

During its entire history, The Hobby Show has never had a booth displaying
LEGO creations made by fans.  I would like to change that, starting with
this year's show.  With the help of other fans and builders I would like to
organize the first ever LEGO-related booth to display models, sets and other
materials for the purpose of raising awareness of the hobby.

I have already contacted the organizers of The Hobby Show and they have
graciously invited us to attend this year's show.  To know how much space we
may need, I would like anyone who knows they will likely want to attend to
email me as soon as possible.  See details near the bottom of this
announcement.  We need to gauge the overall interest in this event.

It is my hope that the group that participates in this show will represent a
variety of individuals and also organized building groups.  In other words,
we would effectively form a once-a-year group solely for the purpose of
putting on The Hobby Show display.  (Assuming all goes well in 2003, perhaps
we can return in 2004).  That said, the attendance list is effectively open
to anyone who can make a firm commitment to attend and display their
work/collection.  rtlToronto has already expressed an interest in
participating, but attendance is in no way limited to just members of that
group.

For those bringing models... I would love to see a wide spectrum of themes
represented.  These might include, but are not limited to some of the following:

Sculptures
Space
Train
Mecha
Castle
Model Team
Pirates
Town
Misc. Architecture
Technic
Mindstorms/robotics
Star Wars
Harry Potter
Duplo
... and of course the list goes on

So... how can you get involved?

1)  Sign up to be at the show.  If you can't be there for the full three
days, then sign up for 1 or 2 days.  However, let me suggest that people who
are able to commit to the full three days will likely receive priority when
it comes to reserving table space (which may be limited).  The Hobby Show
organizers will want to see a full and active display.  People who can help
fill space for the full run will be at the top of the list.  I will do
whatever I can though, to set aside some space for those who may only be
able to attend for a day or two.  We want as many people as possible to have
a chance to participate.

2)  Help to organize this thing.  For example:  I would like to see someone
take charge of organizing the builders who can bring a moonbase module (if
we're going to do that type of display) and of course setting up the modules
at the show.  As well, someone will be needed to organize the train folks if
we're going to run a setup. And so on...  In other words, I need
sub-contractors to organize particular portions of the display.  :)

3)  Volunteer to chronicle all of this on a website.  I will provide hosting
space on my domain.  However, I would like someone who has lots of time
(that's everyone, right?) to create and maintain a website before-hand to
notify everyone of announcements.  And also to upload pics, reports etc.
during and/or after the show.

4)  Send me suggestions on what you'd like to see if you could attend as a
visitor, but perhaps not as a display participant.  This doesn't obligate
you  to attend, but rather just let your mind wander and think what you'd
want to be amazed by if you did arrive at such a show.  No idea is stupid,
and no suggestion is too small.  I won't/can't take all of them, but will
certainly take all of them into consideration.

5)  Drop by the show to say, "Hi".  This is a fun show overall.  There are
tons of hobbies represented and it's always a good time.

To help answer some questions you may already have, let me also
highlight/reiterate some points:

a)  All of this is volunteer.  There is no remuneration for anyone,
including myself.

b)  There can be absolutely no selling of parts or sets by booth
participants to the public.  Trading/selling of parts/sets between
participants is another matter.  While not strictly prohibited, some of the
paying vendors frown upon money changing hands behind a display-only booth
(such as this one, the Meccano guys, the model railroad folks etc.)  So feel
free to bring stuff to trade and/or sell, but be prepared to do it after
hours and likely at your vehicle or hotel room.

c)  We have about 7 months to prepare for this.  Of course anyone who's ever
been involved in something like this knows how quickly that time is eaten
up.  So... get building!  :)

d)  This event is not sponsored by the LEGO company, LUGNET or rtlToronto.
As mentioned above, it is really going to be a group of individuals that
come together for a single purpose... to put on this display.

e)  We need a name.  Any suggestions?  My first thought is something like:

     BRICKS NORTH

Indicating that this will be a Canadian gathering of builders but at the
same time not making any suggestion that it's a LEGO sponsored event.  Any
other ideas?

f)  We will need large and small creations alike.  For example, over the
years I have seen Meccano creations that soar past 8 and 10 feet in height.
These are great for drawing attention to the booth.   But then you also need
small stuff to cover the tables themselves... things that people can relate
to.  Especially when it comes to a kid-friendly hobby like LEGO, we need
models that are within reach of the average child.  People with all levels
of building skill are encouraged to participate.

g)  This is not a conference-style show like Brickfest or Brickswest.  This
is an event where you come primarily to show off your creations.  It is
most definitely open to the public. However, being onsite to discuss your
models with the public is a lot of fun.  As well, I'm hoping it will give
some folks a chance to meet who might not otherwise be brought together to
chat about LEGO.  :)

Well, that's it for now.  I hope that we can generate interest and
involvement in this project.  Anyone wanting to get involved can email me at:

HobbyShow@apotome.com
(please be sure to include the words 'Hobby Show' in the subject line)

To help me gauge the initial interest in this project, please email me now
if you are thinking about attending as a participant.  As well, I'd like to
see an email from someone volunteering for the webmaster job.  Please send a
link to an example of your work.  Thanks in advance folks!!!

If it's o.k. with LUGNET, we'll post major announcements here and allow for
follow-up discussions.  Does someone want to suggest the most appropriate
newsgroup?  My first thought is lugnet.loc.ca.on  but I'm open to any other
ideas.  For the time being, I will direct follow-ups to that group.

As well, once the website is up, I'll post the URL.

There you go.  I hope lots of you will get excited by this and get involved
in any way you can.

All the best,
Allan B.