 Local / Australia / 9997
Re: New Harry Potter sets
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Mon, 28 Oct 2002 03:27:53 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Kerry Raymond writes:
<snip>
... the Madam Hooch minifig (the Quidditch mistress with attitude)...

Like the ghost in Snape's Classroom, and the flute in the Forbidden
Corridor, it seems another case of basing the sets from the book (or perhaps
an early draft of the script) rather than the movie. Reports are that Madame
Hooch (Zoë Wanamaker) doesn't appear in the final cut.

<snip>
You get a Dumbledore (which everyone seems to like for the beard and
the purple robes and cape), a new pre-dominantly green Prof McGonagle
(hurray for more female minifigs),

I find that Dumbledore's head and his long hair make a very presentable
older woman fig. His robes though, make me think of an old person's dressing
gown more than a wizard.

<snip>
You also
get yet another of the ghastly spiral staircases which will never stay in the
arrangement you put them in and don't have studs so you can't stand a minifig
on them (does anyone actually like these stairs?).
At the risk of being flamed, yes, a bit. They can be locked in place (Though
they aren't in the official sets) and I was quite pleased with their effect
in my Orthanc Courtyard (see
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/rdulin/orthanc/orthanc2.jpg).

I have yet to come up with any plausible non-stair application for them,
however (although I notice that the shafts that join the stairs together are
used as machine guns on the Red Baron 'plane).

<snip>
if you plan to build MOCs that require a number of large wall
pieces with open snake mouths and large green snakes, this may
be the set for you.

I presume, though, that the snake mouths are printed on one side only,
making them somewhat useful...

<snip>
and what I assume is a phoenix (but shouldn't it be in
Dumbledore's office?).

Beware, spoiler follows:
Yes, but IIRC it also made an appearance in the Chamber of Secrets
delivering something to Harry.

<snip>
but there is also a new one, the celebrity wizard (I forget his name) in green
with blond coiffured hair and bright white teeth smile.
Gilderoy Lockhart (Kenneth Brannagh)

<snip>
Another of the cheaper sets, somewhat similar in style to the Hogwarts Express
station or the Troll on the Loose bathroom. Average parts selection, average
design. There are 3 minifigs: Draco (who is becoming as common as Harry in this
new set of HP sets) and his two Slytherin cohorts Crabbe and WhatsHisName

Goyle.

Cheers

Richie