 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 6222
  LEGO instructions

For almost a week now, I have been unable to download instructions from the LEGO site: (URL) I have been getting a page saying "Server Error", no matter which instructions I choose. I sent an email off, but got no reply, and then asked some other (...) (18 years ago, 15-Sep-06, to lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: LEGO instructions

(...) Huh. :-/ It's working ok for me. Have you tried downloading from different computers? Or logging in/out as a Club member? -Suz (18 years ago, 15-Sep-06, to lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: LEGO instructions

(...) Hmm - I have to say, I am having no problems here either ROSCO. Maybe you ought to copy the text of the error page, and post it to a Lego webmaster to see if they can help. Have you tried deleting all your Lego related cookies, and revisiting (...) (18 years ago, 15-Sep-06, to lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: LEGO instructions

"Ross Crawford" <ross.{mylastname}@gmail.com> wrote in message news:J5M2wE.MEB@lugnet.com... (...) Hmm, I get Server Error too. Maybe it doesn't like Australians? (By the way, I didn't see the Death Star instructions listed). Kerry (18 years ago, 15-Sep-06, to lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: LEGO instructions

(...) I'm thinking maybe they've put in some anti-scanning check, to try to stop me getting data for my instruction download page: (URL) and said check is blocking a large number of Australian IPs. My ISP is Primus, and as my IP changes every day or (...) (18 years ago, 15-Sep-06, to lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: LEGO instructions

(...) Ross, It's not working for me or another European so it seems they might have reversed their earlier NA blocked/rest of the world allowed system. Very odd either way. Tim (18 years ago, 15-Sep-06, to lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: LEGO instructions

(...) Actually, I just did a search on your page for 10143, and it was found. Then I did download the PDF. So there may be something to your theory about TLG blocking your IP range. How much traffic do you generate when you search for instructions? (...) (18 years ago, 15-Sep-06, to lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: LEGO instructions

(...) So... I don't quite understand-- It says your site is hosted at NorthStar, which is in Chicago, yes? Are you scanning Lego's site from that server, or from a machine in Australia? Other question I guess would be how often do you poll? Of (...) (18 years ago, 15-Sep-06, to lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: LEGO instructions

(...) I just tried it, and it gave me 'Server error' when clicking on the link. Right clicking in the browser (FireFox) and choosing 'Save link as...' worked! Clicking on the link again also seems to work now, so maybe it's just some intermittent (...) (18 years ago, 15-Sep-06, to lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: LEGO instructions

(...) Negligible. I would guess LEGO's own instruction download page probably generates significantly more. ROSCO (18 years ago, 15-Sep-06, to lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: LEGO instructions

(...) I poll from Australia, roughly once a month. (...) that URL. Which either means they are blocking the same IPs on that server too, or it is a temporary cache and it has been flushed (in which case it is useless for polling). (...) I do not (...) (18 years ago, 15-Sep-06, to lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: LEGO instructions

(...) To put a number on it, I have received 22329 requests to my page since April. That's total requests, including non-search, and failed search requests. I have no way to tell how many requests that generated for lego.com, and besides, blocking (...) (18 years ago, 15-Sep-06, to lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: LEGO instructions

(...) Hm. given what you're talking about, it doesn't seem terribly likely that they'd shut down your IP based on that alone-- unless your polls are REALLY hitting them hard. But I'm assuming you're doing something like: for each set in the Lugnet (...) (18 years ago, 15-Sep-06, to lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: LEGO instructions

(...) It's more complicated than that, because the PDFs are stored by the 7 digit LEGO number, not the set number. Basically I scan the header of all files in a certain range (about 1 million), and if it is a PDF I check against my database, (...) (18 years ago, 15-Sep-06, to lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: LEGO instructions

(...) Ahh. Yeah, I could see that as being potentially red-flagging, if they're getting a million hits in a short period of time. I was definitely thinking smaller scale than that. (...) Heh, the inevitable 1st level of tech support :) It will be (...) (18 years ago, 16-Sep-06, to lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: LEGO instructions

(...) Ahh. Yeah, I could see that as being potentially red-flagging, if they're getting a million hits in a short period of time. I was definitely thinking smaller scale than that. (...) Heh, the inevitable 1st level of tech support :) It will be (...) (18 years ago, 16-Sep-06, to lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: LEGO instructions

(...) Well it takes about 7 days to check them all. And it's only grabbing the header unless it's a new file. (...) Yeah, we'll see. ROSCO (18 years ago, 16-Sep-06, to lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: LEGO instructions

What email address are you using to contact them? I'll moan too bcause it's not working for me and I'm not doing anything that might offend them. Kerry (18 years ago, 16-Sep-06, to lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: LEGO instructions

(...) Great idea Kerry! I initially contacted them via the contact form on the website. They have opened a problem ticket, so I'm communicating via that system now, but if any other aussies are experiencing this problem, it can't hurt to let them (...) (18 years ago, 16-Sep-06, to lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.loc.au)

  Re: LEGO instructions

"Ross Crawford" <ross.{mylastname}@gmail.com> wrote in message news:J5pK1q.o44@lugnet.com... (...) OK, I went, I complained. Buth then suddenly one download worked for me. I did it again, it failed. So, having now spent a number of minutes (...) (18 years ago, 17-Sep-06, to lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.loc.au)

  Re: LEGO instructions

(...) Full access appears to have been restored, however I still have no information on what the issue was, or whether my scanning script was to blame, so I will not be adding any new instructions until this has been clarified - I don't want access (...) (18 years ago, 18-Sep-06, to lugnet.lego.direct)