 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 4861
Re: Legends Vote winner - Announcement tomorrow!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Tue, 9 Jul 2002 21:00:37 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Frank Filz writes:
Note that if the winner was chosen by balancing the various questions
that they might not know the complete order since they may have only
used the other factors for the two top contenders or something).

Well, they could still figure out who #2,#3,etc would be, just by using
whatever logic they used for the actual winner, and applying it to the
remaining 4...

It may be best though not to release the order at all. It will just give
something for people to whine about.

Agree-- It's one of those things where I'd be curious to know, but in the
long run may just be left better unknown as I'm sure some people might
complain. And *ESPECIALLY* if the raw data were released, since chances are
other algorithms could be divined that were still "fair" yielding different
results. Then there's people like me who wouldn't really *whine* per se, but
would waste valuable hours over-analyzing the data for no good reason.

I could make some guesses as to how and why the voting fell:

- With two castle sets, the castle vote was certainly diluted (though
"other factors" could have led them to chose one of the castle sets if
there was a clear preference for a castle set). My guess is that had
6074 been the only castle choice it would have won (though my first
choice was 6075).

I tend to agree-- 6074 had the best price/piece ratio of those offered, had
grey bricks (good for just about all genres), and probably could've pulled
some weight among its contenders. Might not have *won* if 375/6075 weren't
offered, but almost definitely would've done better.

- The Battrax probably doesn't have as wide an appeal as another Space
set has. In my opinion, this offering hurt the chance to see a Space
set.

Although I have to say Battrax was my 2nd favorite BT1 set, and probably
somewhere about my 7th-10th favorite space set of all time, I know other
people aren't nearly as fond of it (in relation to other space sets). Also
comparing general size of the set to the competition just guaranteed (IMHO)
that this one wouldn't win.

375/6075 - This one I also think just didn't have much of a chance. People
aren't craving bulk yellow bricks, and honestly, as a castle color, I'll
take grey over yellow any day. Plus a large part of the appeal of the set is
the old-style helmets & visors (I suppose the old-school 1x1 w/ headlight
bricks as well) which weren't going to be available in the set. I could be
wrong, I just don't think this one had a good shot at winning.

DaveE