 Harry Potter / 265
Re: Saw some of the new Harry Potter sets...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.harrypotter
Date:
Fri, 15 Jun 2001 03:53:13 GMT

In lugnet.harrypotter, Robert Brunskill writes:
in article GEyBtJ.IpB@lugnet.com, Eli Donati at ludon@pbq.com.au wrote on
6/14/01 11:17 PM:

How you going all,
              Rob just wondering is there any sign of the red train
or the platform 9 3/4 of which  Harry creates up you might know what I mean
if your read the book only asking since you said that some  sets have
enviroment or secnces for the book .

     cheers.

Sorry, I did not see a train set, but I think there was a mid-sized set that
didn't have a picture and could have been such a set, especially if it is
just an engine.

I think that would suck big-time if all we got was an engine...what Lego should
do is have a "kit" like MY OWN Train and all you need is the motor...so when
you add the pieces from the "kit" plus the not-included motor, you get,
voila, a Hogwarts Express engine...what you would also need to get is
coach cars for it...
If all there is a "scene" and the engine, that would entirely stink.  I heard
the Retail was around $50 to $65 for the set...it will probably end up
getting one coach car....
...unless Lego decides to put a subsequent model (of the coach car) for the
Express Train...and then Lego would have an influx of sales, because My Own
Train people could add the coach to their sets, and have a "classic
passenger train".

and

As for 'environments' it might be more accurate to say 'furniture with wall
segments'. It looked like you'd most likely put the stuff inside the castle.
It's an unusual move for Lego, I think. We're accustomed to getting whole
buildings or whole displays. But this is more like getting several important
pieces of a room. It's like they left out the boring bits. The thing that
came with the B-Wing fighter is the closest thing I can think of as an
example, but don't worry, none of it looks like that.

Rob

It is a fairly "new" concept, but a concept that should be done, if is done
correctly.  The concept is called modularization, and it worked well for
Lego Soccer, and so-so with the Leo's castle....(actually Leo's castle looked
so good and so complete why expand it further than it needed)

I think Lego's thinking is why put out $150 plus sets, when you can get
the consumer to buy the same amount of sets, set by set, for $200, and you'll
also get more of them because you can don't have to invest in a model all
at once, you can spread out your purchase of the model over a few months.

Benjamin Medinets