 Harry Potter / 260
259  |  261
Subject:
Saw some of the new Harry Potter sets...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.harrypotter
Date:
Fri, 15 Jun 2001 03:01:22 GMT

Saw some of the new Harry Potter sets at the local Family Toy tonight.

Ok, ok, I saw mockups of the sets. Family Toy is really nutso about having
everything in just the right place. When they do their new stock layout
(which this one had), they like to put holder items on the shelves or pegs
for products that aren't out yet. Some enterprising soul at the store made
color copies from promotional material sent to the store and put them on the
shelves as place holders.

I haven't read HP and wasn't too interested in the sets, but a few of them
look nifty. Here's a few notes of things I noticed:

All the figures are definitely mini-figs.

There's a new hair piece for Harry.

Most of the small sets didn't have pictures.

Most of the sets I did see had some sort of 'environment' as part of the
set.

There was a 'final confrontation' set with Harry, bad guy (I assume), and
some sort of small environment/backdrop (maybe 6-8 studs wide, alter-ish,
was hard to tell

There was a 'magic workshop/lab' with several environment pieces
(workbenches, bookshelf, something like that), and a white owl (single
piece, like the falcon piece)

The largest set was part of a keep. I found a picture of the movie poster,
and the set looks like the left side of the building on it, from the
left-most tower over. It's a nifty looking set, definitely different from
most Lego castles. It has a large tower (using the round pieces used in the
Droid Escape set). The round portion of the tower is two-high, plus it has a
very tall roof (same height as one of the tower segments), and the whole
thing sits on a rock or plain wall structure that is a mini-fig or two high.
The side wall of the castle is done in a sort of 'cathedral' style, with
lots of supporting pillars. It's height looks to match the tower's (except
for the roof), then there is a smaller tower in back. It didn't look like a
complete structure (it looked like you would need 2 of them put together
would make a closed structure), and from looking at the movie poster, this
is only a wing of the whole castle. Looked like there was about 5 or 6
minifigs in this set.

The bearded wizard in the castle has mini-fig legs and a samurai-master long
beard.

For the castle set, Harry was in a boat and with him in the boat was what
looked like a creator figure in a shroud. I couldn't tell if it was a single
big piece, or if it was something like the Lego ghost. It had funny arms
that looked like creator figure arms in size and shape (it was right next to
Harry and DEFINITELY larger), but it was almost all brown, and it was a poor
picture.

That's all I can really remember at the moment. Like I said, the castle
looked really nifty. I'm sure castle lovers will like this set, it looks
huge and is very different from any other Lego castle. I would guess most of
the other sets I saw are perhaps supposed to furnish this set. I think the
way most of it is designed, any castle-lover who wants to add wizard
elements will take an interest.

Oh yeah, I only saw pictures of a few of the sets, but if the rest of the
series holds the trend, you will have plenty of Harry figures just from
buying one of each set (he was in every set I saw).

Oh, if someone in the SW PA area is reading this, check out Robinson Town
Center to have a look. It didn't look like an official store thing, so I
doubt it's at other Family Toys. (although the blank boxes they were pasted
on looked pretty quality, so perhaps that part was official, just not the
pictures). Perhaps someone who knows more about the series can relate these
sets better.

Same Family Toy also had Bionicle mask boxes (also a mockup), the large
Bionicle monsters (mockup), and Jack Stone sets (not a mockup).

Rob