 General / 54264
Re: Weren't we all expecting this??
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 22 Oct 2007 10:37:22 GMT

In lugnet.general, John Neal wrote:
   In lugnet.general, Brian Pilati wrote:
   In someways I knew this would happen and I have been expecting this day.

Hopefully, it means the downfall of MegaBloks forever!

Now, now, let’s not be too hasty. Remember, competition is GOOD; it keeps TLG on their toes.

On a different note, I saw this quotation in the article and it made me wonder:

“Lead is sometimes added to plastics to give them yellow or red color, Mr. Mays said.”

Now, the discontinued colors of dark gray, gray, and brown were “warm”; that is, they contained yellow and/or red in their pigment. The replacement colors are markedly cooler, presumably without as much yellow/red (if any). Could this change reflect a lead concern? Possibly. And if that were the case, I could see why TLG wouldn’t necessarily want to come clean as to their rationale for switching.

Just a thought.

JOHN

John:

Yes, various heavy metals are commonly used in the plastics industry as colorants. Heavy metal pigments tend to provide very bright, vivid colors and are usually more heat stable than other organic pigments. The bright/bold colors are also usually harder to achieve with more conventional (organic) pigments. However, there is a general industry trend moving away from heavy metal pigments as many companies such as Clariant are coming out with new pigment technology negating the need to use heavy metals.

As for the LEGO color change, I have my own theory as to why the change was made. If you look at old gray bricks, they have a distinct tendency to yellow when exposed to UV light (including fluorescent). Most of this was due to the degradation of the butadiene in the ABS (acrylonitrile-butadiene-styrene terpolymer). Butadiene is very susceptible to UV degradation. This coupled with the more yellow/red tone in the coloring led to some pretty yellowed bricks with the old gray.

Now, if we assume that the color of the base resin (ABS) is going to shift yellow over time due to UV exposure, we can do a couple of things. We could try to stabilize the resin using a radical scavenger, but this can only do so much...especially in ABS. Since yellow is opposite blue in the CIE LAB colorspace, the other option is to bias the color initially on the blue side so that as the base resin yellows, the color shifts more toward neutral gray. My suspicion is that this is what LEGO was after. Over the years, I suspect our “bley” pieces may gradually shift to a more neutral gray. But that’s just my own postulation.

Okay...I’m out.

-Dave