 General / 54248
Re: Weren't we all expecting this??
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 19 Oct 2007 11:02:19 GMT

In lugnet.general, Brian Pilati wrote:
   In someways I knew this would happen and I have been expecting this day.

Hopefully, it means the downfall of MegaBloks forever!

LINK

Thanks for the link--product safety is of great concern to fans of the brand, especially those of us who have small children!

I think that this part is relevant:
Health Canada, a government department, said that the preliminary results of tests on a random sample of the blocks last week showed “no quantifiable total lead content in the plastic.” Mega Brands, which unsuccessfully sought a court injunction against the nonprofit magazine this week, also vigorously denied that its products exceeded regulatory lead limits.

If true, then the governmental standards are at fault, rather than Mega Bloks.

Time will tell, of course, but it’s difficult to see how this could spell the downfall of the company forever, since the product in question represents a small portion of its business. Further, liability claims re: lead toxicity are famously difficult to prove in any case.

Not that I advocate any sort of shirking of responsibility, but even in the worst case, this situation is far from cut-and-dried.

Dave!