 General / 53834
  Brickshelf and the AFOL community

For those of you who don't know me, I've been in the AFOL community for a long time. I'm also one of the largest hosters of LEGO clubs and other LEGO-related sites. Most of these sites are donated to help the clubs have an internet presence, Some of (...) (17 years ago, 16-Jul-07, to lugnet.general) !!

  Re: Brickshelf and the AFOL community

As someone who operates a blog (brickpile.com) about LEGO I agree that there is very little revenue from ads. The problem with ads in a LEGO-related site is that there are only so many times people can click on links to legoshop.com and there just (...) (17 years ago, 16-Jul-07, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Brickshelf and the AFOL community

(...) Thanks for the information, Eric. It's hard for most people (including myself) to get a grasp on just what resources are needed to run such a site. With respect to targeted ads, Kevin was using Google Adsense, and I believe (from seeing (...) (17 years ago, 16-Jul-07, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Brickshelf and the AFOL community

(...) Hmm. If Brickshelf was attracting plenty of money through advertising, why would its owner close it down? Unless we think Kevin is joining a monastery and devoting himself to a life of poverty, that's not rational behaviour. If Bricklink was (...) (17 years ago, 16-Jul-07, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Brickshelf and the AFOL community

(...) Or he's focusing his efforts on maj.com, which as far as I can tell is based on Brickshelf's code. (17 years ago, 16-Jul-07, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Brickshelf and the AFOL community

(...) As I mentioned earlier, he himself said that he was making a small profit off Brickshelf. I would try finding his post but Zerostuds was only up for around two weeks and wasn't picked up by the Wayback Machine crawlers at all. I can imagine (...) (17 years ago, 16-Jul-07, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Brickshelf and the AFOL community

(...) Feeding keywords, in the AdSense context is incredibly ineffective. This isn't a jab at Kevin, simply a bit of reality about how AdSense works. One of the reasons AdSense favors well trafficked blogs, forums, and news sites is that they post a (...) (17 years ago, 16-Jul-07, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Brickshelf and the AFOL community

I would like to thank Kevin. Brickshelf has meant alot to me since the nineties as a resource for ideas. I look at brickshelf on a daily basis for inspiration. I'm just not that creative and learned alot about techniques. Lugnet and brickshelf are (...) (17 years ago, 16-Jul-07, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Brickshelf and the AFOL community

(...) I just hate speculating in the dark about all of this, but that's my sense. For now, I'm simply going to reupload all of my pics to my maj.com account (which is the same username and password for all former Brickshelf accounts). I just hope (...) (17 years ago, 16-Jul-07, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Brickshelf and the AFOL community

(...) I completely agree with John's last point - I'd hit the 'recent updates' link on Brickshelf a couple times a day. My own biggest problem is that the images I had on Brickshelf are going to be difficult to replace - the computer they were (...) (17 years ago, 16-Jul-07, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Brickshelf and the AFOL community

(...) And it appears that the mass migration is on! If you go to maj.com, its recent pages are filled with LEGO MOCs... (...) Doood. Your problem, J-1, is that you are old-school AND net-wiz-bang:-) J-2 (17 years ago, 16-Jul-07, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Brickshelf and the AFOL community

(...) Am I the only one that's a bit nervous about about a mass migration to maj.com? If a mass migration happens, the maj.com bandwidth shoots through the roof and Kevin is once again facing overwhelming bandwidth costs. If this happens, does he (...) (17 years ago, 16-Jul-07, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Brickshelf and the AFOL community

(...) No, you're not alone. (...) Same here. We're all speculating, and in the dark. Without any word from Kevin, everything is just second-guessing. I would not be comfortable using Maj.com for anything until reading something from Kevin about (...) (17 years ago, 16-Jul-07, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Brickshelf and the AFOL community

(...) I also agree until we find out something from Kevin, moving files, correcting links, and stressing over lost pictures is all worthless, we all just need to take a breath and wait to hear something. It is obvious that Brickshelf has evolved (...) (17 years ago, 16-Jul-07, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Brickshelf and the AFOL community

(...) No, it's not just you, Jake. I do it with fear and trepidation. But want to be loyal to Kevin and what he has done for the AFOL community, if that indeed is what a migration means. If we are a nuisance, then I would by all means go to a (...) (17 years ago, 16-Jul-07, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Brickshelf and the AFOL community

(...) It took me a few weeks from first hearing the name to figure it out, but it's a trademarkable spelling of the second syllable of the word "image". Not pronounced quite the same, but clearly the source of the word. (17 years ago, 16-Jul-07, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Brickshelf and the AFOL community

(...) I've decided to start migrating my BS account to MAJ. Fortunately for me, my gallery is pretty small. What is really needed is a migration bot that automates the upload process to MAJ after BSbackup utility has finished its downloads from (...) (17 years ago, 17-Jul-07, to lugnet.general, FTX)