 General / 40771
  Geekshelf is going to disappear soon

This is now showing at the top of the Geekshelf page: "IMPORTANT NOTICE: Uploads and new account creation have been disabled. The Geekshelf Gallery will disappear on 2003/02/15. Save your files now!" (URL) haven't seen anything about this until (...) (21 years ago, 29-Jan-03, to lugnet.general) !

  Re: Geekshelf is going to disappear soon

Oh no. Wherever will humanity store Geekshelf's 5 billion images of poorly drawn anime fan art for future generations. A truly great loss indeed. [ j o n ] -- | Lego - (URL) Shipyard - (URL) Moonbase - (URL) Store - (URL) Parker" <cg47@hotmail.com> (...) (21 years ago, 30-Jan-03, to lugnet.general) !

  Re: Geekshelf is going to disappear soon

(...) What the? I wasn't expecting this? Do you define these files (hosted by geekshelf) as poor anime fan art? (URL) anyone have any reasons why such a site would decide to shut down on such short notice? (Kevin, I would prefer you charge us for a (...) (21 years ago, 30-Jan-03, to lugnet.general)

"Matt Hein" <Pyrokid17@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:H9IBtF.L51@lugnet.com... (...) poorly (...) Look, I'm just callin it like I see it. About a month after Geekshelf started up it was flooded with what is, in my opinion, "poorly drawn anime (...) (21 years ago, 30-Jan-03, to lugnet.general) !

  Re: Geekshelf is going to disappear soon

(...) I agree with Jon here. Most of the stuff on Geekshelf is of NO interest to me whatsoever. If people want a free site to host their images, there's plenty of those out there. If Geekshelf is drawing upon resources for Brickshelf, then I don't (...) (21 years ago, 30-Jan-03, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Geekshelf is going to disappear soon

(...) Please show us some of those. I am sure many will find them useful. (21 years ago, 30-Jan-03, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Geekshelf is going to disappear soon

(...) Just to clear things up, I was referring to web hosting places: Geocities, Angelfire, Tripod, etc. They have banners & ads, but they're free so you can't complain. -Bryan (21 years ago, 30-Jan-03, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Geekshelf is going to disappear soon

(...) I can. One of the greatest things about [Brick,Geek]Shelf is that you can host *images* which can be linked to, and loaded from, your other sites. Those free sites are great for small amounts of html and a few images, but provide nothing close (...) (21 years ago, 30-Jan-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.publish)

  Re: Geekshelf is going to disappear soon

(...) The only problem is, someone has to pay for that. That's precisely why services like this can't continue forever without some means of the user paying -- be it through advertising or subscriptions, or they can't continue (barring unique (...) (21 years ago, 30-Jan-03, to lugnet.publish)

  Re: Geekshelf is going to disappear soon

(...) NO this is horrible. Have you seen this girl on there, Serena something-er-other. She's a hottie. And she posts some very nice pics, and I've googled the hell out of it and can't find anything else of her. Oh and by nice I mean "How-you-doin" (...) (21 years ago, 31-Jan-03, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Geekshelf is going to disappear soon

Jon, I agree that geekshelf has too much anime but I disagree that geekshelf is not a valueable resource. I have used it to store images of my college work so that it is easily accessable to my friends and family. (URL) this service can not be (...) (21 years ago, 31-Jan-03, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Geekshelf is going to disappear soon

Agreed. A friend of mine used it for hosting pictures during her stay here. (URL) is useful, but other wise I do not find geekshelf interesting (those travelling picture are interesting though) S Benjamin Ellermann <ben_289@hotmail.com> wrote in (...) (21 years ago, 31-Jan-03, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Geekshelf is going to disappear soon

(...) IMO, this may be exactly why Geekshelf is folding. I truly regret the loss, but for my own selfish purposes. I have an account (which I'm disabling in chunks), and have used it in moderation, and with respect to the TOS. There is stuff on (...) (21 years ago, 1-Feb-03, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Geekshelf is going to disappear soon

(...) Is this a joke? Yes, you made me look. The rest is here: (URL) that one image "cindy" is identical to one on geekshelf. And it is a pity, this IS probably why geekshelf is going offline. -- Hop-Frog (21 years ago, 2-Feb-03, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Geekshelf is going to disappear soon

(...) Yeah, it was a pretty sad arguement. And you all are right, that's exactly why it's going offline. But that girl does have one fine booty. e. (21 years ago, 2-Feb-03, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Geekshelf is going to disappear soon

(...) I think she has "eating disorder" written all over her... /Tobbe (21 years ago, 3-Feb-03, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)