 General / 40407
Re: What a downer :-(
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 3 Jan 2003 01:15:26 GMT

In lugnet.general, Matt Hein writes:
In lugnet.general, Ronald Vallenduuk writes:

- Games. When is the last time you (or your child) has played a board game?
They would last a while. Compare that to Gameboys and the likes. Fast game,
lasts a few minutes, done. Another quick fix.

Okay, I admit I play video games every once in a
while (I mean, who doesn't?). However, I believe
the real problem from this lies eerily reminscent
of alcoholism. It's up to the player to know
their own limits and when to quit. I do agree
with the board games though. We definitely need
more emphasis with the educational system on
the evils of convenience and questionable habits.

Not every board game lasts as long as Monopoly or a marathon game of Go. And
there's plenty of kids who play RPGs that take up to 100 hours to finish, so
I'm gonna have to disagree on just plain (video) "games" being the problem.
Even short-attention-span games require about 10x more investment of
attention than most children's TV programs. Agreed with just about every
other point, though.

-Greg "Fox" Cook