 General / 40401
Re: What a downer :-(
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 3 Jan 2003 00:03:26 GMT

In lugnet.general, Ronald Vallenduuk writes:

I'm getting a bit tired of hearing this over and over again. Anybody wonder
why kids have such short attention spans? I think it's because everything is
prefab, readymade, spoonfed to them. Here's a few examples:
- Children's TV. When I was young childrens TV was on wednesday afternoons
and saturdays. That's it. Now when my daughter wants to see a cartoon she
can flick on the telly any time of the week and choose from 30 channels. And
then there's the programs themselves. Nothing lasts for more than a few
minutes, and is interrupted for commercials.

Hmm...that's one of the sole reasons I'm a nonconformist.

Some can say the blessings of our society and technology
really better humanity, but is this really true? Is it
a 'blessing' that if someone is bored they instead turn
to the TV or video games to get their 'quick fix'?

Whenever anyone says 'I'm bored', I have to manually
fight the urge to shout at them and say 'What do you
mean you're bored?! There's thousands of things to do!
Why don't you play a board game, read a book or go
outside for once! Whatever happened to good old
imaginative activities?! What is this world coming to!"

- Food. Remember when there wasn't a big M on every
corner, and you couldn't have sweets any time you
wanted to?

You know it. The ever present convenience
these days might also contribute to
elevated obesity levels and lethargy.
Corporations say they want the good of the
citizens, however, they only care for the
almighty dollar.

- Games. When is the last time you (or your child) has played a board game?
They would last a while. Compare that to Gameboys and the likes. Fast game,
lasts a few minutes, done. Another quick fix.

Okay, I admit I play video games every once in a
while (I mean, who doesn't?). However, I believe
the real problem from this lies eerily reminscent
of alcoholism. It's up to the player to know
their own limits and when to quit. I do agree
with the board games though. We definitely need
more emphasis with the educational system on
the evils of convenience and questionable habits.

- Books. Remember those? Night after night, hiding your torch under the
covers to find out what would happen to the hero in the end. Compare that to
sticking a DVD in the player and staring for 90 minutes.

Why does it seem more and more common that
it's a societal norm that the average person
reads around thirty minutes a day? Why don't
educators take a different stance on reading
and instead cast it in a better light.
(yes, the Educational, Learning labels
sometime discourage kids these days due to
the fact they perceive it as 'boring' and
'work'. Again, this points to the system!)

Place books on the front line of education.
You know, a great incentive would be to
place books in a manner in which they would
look and say. 'Wow! I never thought books
were more interesting than TV. Not everything
is just placed in front of me. I have to
derive meaning! I can rival foreign exchange
students!'. This would in turn, lead to more
imaginative individuals, resulting in greater
prosperity for those who benefit. Mandatory
year round schooling for all students would
also bode well. (less TV, more books!)

And that also brings me to imagination. I remember when we'd hammer some
sticks together to make guns. Now you just by your prefab AK-47 lookalike
from a shop. Remember when horror movies were scary because of what you
didn't see? Look at the Mummy. I can only laugh at the special effects.

Special effects are okay, but they generally kill
the cinema. I mean, who wants everything presented
on a silver platter? Why not imagine it yourself?
Also, the script writing is really bad at times,
and so strikingly obvious, it's almost cliche.
(Okay, the Adventurer will save the chick, Mr.
Fez will get eaten by scarabs and the pharoh
will be destroyed by some really odd sense of
'luck' devised in the eleventh hour by caffeine
buzzed scriptwriters. Seems pretty average to
me.)

They're now turning my favorite children's books into movies (because like
in music nobody can come up with anything new) and I refuse to go see them.
I'd rather remember what things looked like in my mind.....

Adaptions kill the story-period. There's no
question about it other than profit. Why would
I want to see a movie about a book? Reading it,
there is always greater clarity to the story,
and I don't have to pay the extra money to
read it again.

Sorry for this ranting, I guess I just had to get it out of my system....

No, ranting is great! Whenever someone rants
on lugnet, It's always entertaining to a great
extent to read the threads and reactions by
other community members. (that's why I've
stayed with Lugnet so long.)

Down with juniorization!

<<_Matt Hein_>>
Fellow lego enthusias