 General / 40398

Re: What a downer :-(
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.technic
Date:
Thu, 2 Jan 2003 22:18:51 GMT

"Bob Gomez" <kukumba@aol.com> wrote in message news:H83wI4.56M@lugnet.com...
<snip> I guess some will say that the market has changed and kids today
don't have
the attention span that they used to. </snip>

I'm getting a bit tired of hearing this over and over again. Anybody wonder
why kids have such short attention spans? I think it's because everything is
prefab, readymade, spoonfed to them. Here's a few examples:
- Children's TV. When I was young childrens TV was on wednesday afternoons
and saturdays. That's it. Now when my daughter wants to see a cartoon she
can flick on the telly any time of the week and choose from 30 channels. And
then there's the programs themselves. Nothing lasts for more than a few
minutes, and is interrupted for commercials.
- Food. Remember when there wasn't a big M on every corner, and you couldn't
have sweets any time you wanted to?
- Games. When is the last time you (or your child) has played a board game?
They would last a while. Compare that to Gameboys and the likes. Fast game,
lasts a few minutes, done. Another quick fix.
- Books. Remember those? Night after night, hiding your torch under the
covers to find out what would happen to the hero in the end. Compare that to
sticking a DVD in the player and staring for 90 minutes.
And that also brings me to imagination. I remember when we'd hammer some
sticks together to make guns. Now you just by your prefab AK-47 lookalike
from a shop. Remember when horror movies were scary because of what you
didn't see? Look at the Mummy. I can only laugh at the special effects.
They're now turning my favorite children's books into movies (because like
in music nobody can come up with anything new) and I refuse to go see them.
I'd rather remember what things looked like in my mind.....

Sorry for this ranting, I guess I just had to get it out of my system....

Duq

Re: What a downer :-(