 General / 37429
Re: Train Shows
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 7 Jul 2002 14:35:55 GMT

In the end though, I think I've got a better idea of why showing LEGO at
train shows is so much more common than other themes. In the end, the
model railroaders recognize that LEGO trains are an expression of the
hobby which is far more accessible to kids.

Frank

In the end though, I think I've got a better idea of why showing LEGO at
train shows is so much more common than other themes. In the end, the
model railroaders recognize that LEGO trains are an expression of the
hobby which is far more accessible to kids

Well said, Frank. I am currently in the process of inventorying my N-scale model
railroad collection in order to sell it (well, maybe I'll keep the Southern Rwy
F3A-B set from Kato) and jump into Lego railroading with both feet (and
wallet!).

The reason: my 4-year-old daughter and 1-year-old son. My time is a precious
commodity and spending it with my kids and wife when I am able to is a major
priority. I cannot, nor do I want to, justify spending hours in the basement
with trains that are too delicate for my kids to handle. With Lego, when my
daughter shows an interest in trains and asks, "Can I see that?" I am able to
say "Yes! And you can touch it too, and even take it apart if you want." Believe
me, there is nothing quite like sharing something you love with your children,
and seeing that look in their eyes when you KNOW they're hooked.

Just this week, my daughter and I went to the dedication of a former US Navy
caboose being displayed at the La Plata, Md., train station. Why do I think my
daughter enjoyed it so much? Because she was able to participate with daddy in
something that was important to me. And because we can build a replica of that
caboose, together, using Lego.

Perhaps one day, when my children are grown, I'll get back to "scale" model
railroading. But maybe not, after all, there are grandchildren to think about ;)

Besides, my wife has a morbid fascination with "train wrecks," and it's a lot
easier to clean up a Lego wreck than see your new $100 (or more) N-scale loco in
pieces (not that she's actually wrecked one of those yet, she just suggests how
"neat" it would be).

Henry Durand
(whose first building for a Lego layout will be a minifig hospital)