 Castle / 13643
Re: New Santa Fe Car Sets #10022 and #10025
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle, lugnet.pirates, lugnet.space, lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 6 Jul 2002 00:27:14 GMT

Aaron West wrote:

<snip>

While I love the special attention given this TRAINS/TOWN line by LEGO,
WHERE ARE the other popular themes of CASTLE, PIRATES and SPACE headed!!  It
seems to me that all the folk at LEGO Direct love their TRAINS/TOWN and that
the new releases are bent that way.  Don't let there be a Christmas without
CASTLE, PIRATES and SPACE again!!!  (I want to buy my kids LEGO for X-Mas,
but I can't do TRAINS three years in a row without them saying, "Not
again!")  Don't let your market slip away LEGO!

Hm. A better question might be "WHERE ARE the fan clubs for the other
popular themes of CASTLE, PIRATE, and SPACE?" There are at least twelve
organized LEGO train clubs in the US, plus clubs in the rest of the
world as well. Each club holds regular, highly public shows each year,
and directly inspires interest in the LEGO Trains line.

This rant is due to the latest Shop At Home catalog I received, man is it
dull!  The only bright gems for multiple set buying (for parts) are the
Harry Potter, LEDGENDS or some STAR WARS.  The ISLAND EXTREME is really
limited in usefulness, JACK STONE is boring even to my 5 year old, GALIDOR
does not inspire him or me at all and the only way we can seem to get sets
with real bricks is to NOT BUY FROM LEGO, but rather from Bricklink or eBay!
My son loves the TRAIN line, but he wants a little variety that is as well
made.  So do I.

Your tone suggests that you are not particularly interested in the play
value of a set, but rather what parts it contains. While I feel the same
way about most sets I buy, you should recognize that we are in the
minority, and probably not really a large part of LEGO's main target
market. The skateboard park set has terrific play value, and my son and
I have already clocked a dozen hours with it.

Can I have a job at LEGO Direct so I can get more CASTLE, PIRATES and SPACE
themes added to with more re-issues and new designs!?!???
Brad?  Did you hear me?  Put a CASTLE-head, SPACE-head or scurvy-PIRATE on
the payroll of your department, and I've officially requested all three
positions for ME!

My guess is that LEGO Direct employees don't have any more input into
the production process than fans do. Decisions like that are usally
based on production schedules, market research, and other non-emotional
factors.

Finally, you should be aware that ranting often comes across as whining,
and is generally not effective in producing change, since your audience
assumes you are not a reasonable person. I would suggest you take action
instead. Form a LEGO Castle [1] club, and display Castle [1] layouts at
local fairs, toy stores, and malls. Post pictures of the display and the
crowds that attend. Show LEGO there is enough interest in the line to
support five to ten such clubs in the U.S., then organize a formal
meeting with LEGO Direct, and propose some ideas.

And best of luck to you! I look forward to attending a Castle [1] show!

Rick C.

[1] or Pirate or Space