 General / 33690
Re: Cleaning used Lego
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 22 Oct 2001 21:02:20 GMT

In lugnet.general, Richard Morton writes:
Hi all,

Quick question. I have just received a HUGE amount of used Lego I won in an
eBay auction. Some of it is quite dirty/greasy etc and I want to have a go
at cleaning it up a bit.
My question is, in your expert opinions, what is the best way to do this?
Warm water and washing up liquid?
Anyone tried putting Lego in a dishwasher at low setting? Is that a stupid
idea? (Probably!)

Obviously, I'm not about to load up my dishwasher full of Lego, but I just
wondered what the best way to clean it up is?

Hope you can help

Hi, Richard

I am not an expert on this subject, but a couple of years ago I decided to
clean most of my old Lego. The process I chose for this cleansing was with
cold water, ordinary hand soap, and a baby's *soft* toothbrush.
To start, I used to tear the set apart, separate parts with stickers or
metal, and then put the lot in the sink (water-filled). Then I'd pick every
part individually and started gently rubbing the toothbrush (with soap) on
it - the time I had to do this was determined by the amount of dust/grease
on the element. After brushing, I dived it again in the water to clean up
the soap, and than I'd let it to dry for a couple of hours over a dry cloth.
The cleaning went fine, even though some parts did not stick together well
after it (they had lost the "grip" due to the soap remnants, but they
regained it after some use). It takes A LOT of time to do it this way, however.
The dishwasher is, IMHO, a very BAD idea!   :-)
Still, if you hear any better way to do this, please LMK.

Regards,

Pedro