 General / 33764
RE: Cleaning used Lego
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 28 Oct 2001 20:06:13 GMT

I use the same method using a 5 gallon bucket.

1. 1-2 scoops (I use Electro sol DW crystals) in ~3 gallons of warm water.
Mix thoroughly.
2. Add 2-3 gallons of LEGO, (after proper sorting of course) no more, or you
will not have enough "stirring room".
3. Stir the LEGO soup (churn from top to bottom) every hour or so with a
VERY SOFT car wash brush to help loosen the dirt. Do not get carried away
with the stirring, be gentle but thorough.
4. I always soak for 12 or more hours.
5. When finished, stir again and dump ~1/2 the water out and refill with hot
water while stirring to make the LEGO soup warm again. Dump the water trough
a strainer or colander to catch the pieces that always float out with the
water.
6. Now stir again.
7. I now use 2 colanders, 1 smaller than the other to scoop out the Lego
from the soup bucket.
8. Rinse thoroughly under warm running water while stirring gently. NOTE: Do
not use the spray nozzle or the water WILL spray all over the place, :-)
Unless your hands are big like mine, sometimes you can cover the colander
and "spray" under it with minimal mess.
9. Dump the smaller colander into the larger colander and repeat #8. Keep
doing this back and forth until you are satisfied they are rinsed
thoroughly.  The soap residue will leave a dull film if you do not.
10. Now gently dump the Lego back and forth between the colanders to dispel
most of the water.
11. Spread the parts on a bath sheet (large bath towel or beach towel) on
the floor. Depending on my mood, I will pick up one end of the towel and
fold it in half and blot the pieces, then fold the other way and repeat.
Then re-spread the pieces on the towel. You may want plastic under the
towel.
12. Point a fan at the pieces to speed up drying. Overnight is usually
sufficient.
13. Now your only limit is the number of 5 gallon buckets and towels you
have.

If the Lego is extremely dirty (why would you buy that?) I will let soak for
24-36 hours, replacing the cleaning broth every 12-24 hours.

I have found this method to be relatively quick and painless. (actual "time"
spent cleaning) and cleans 99+% of the Lego to my satisfaction.

If any white pieces remain slightly yellowed after the above, I will soak
them in a 1 part bleach to 9 parts water solution for 12-48 hours.  Be
warned, it DOES work most of the time, but tends to leave the bricks with a
matte finish!

HTH's

Thanx,

Mark Millère
LUGnet # 525
Visit Milissa's LEGO store, Millère's Spares
<http://www.brickbay.com/store.asp?i=MMillere>