 General / 30668
Re: why parts yellow (was Re: Sopwith Camel pictures)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 30 May 2001 20:47:49 GMT

On Wed, 30 May 2001, Cary Clark (<GE5u0s.MLF@lugnet.com>) wrote at
18:00:14

My theory is that the ABS is reacting with some (unknown) airborne
chemical, and the presence of UV radiation speeds the reaction. That
chemical concentrates in wooden boxes, but I'm no chemist.

It would appear to be prudent to store white bricks in airtight plastic
bags. Maybe ABS outgassing protects itself from the yellowing process.
It would be really fascinating to hear about anyone's experience with
yellowed bricks in old MISB sets. Has anyone found a yellowed brick in a
perforated polybag?

It is distinctly possible that there is more than one cause of
yellowing, as there appears to be more than type of yellowing.

Having said that, the following suggestion covers both removable
(surface) and non-removable yellowing, depending upon the age & exposure
of the bricks.

A prime suspect must be decomposition by free radical attack. Exposure
to light will accelerate this, and putting the bricks in the dark
afterwards will not slow it down again, if there is nothing in the
plastic to scavenge the radicals & stop the reactions. The different
amount of yellowing in different coloured bricks can be explained if
dyes of different colours have different levels of effectiveness as free
radical traps. It could also just be some of the dyes mask the yellowing
better :-)
--
Tony Priestman