 General / 30623
Re: Sopwith Camel pictures
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 29 May 2001 22:18:35 GMT

In lugnet.general, Tobbe Arnesson writes:
I would be careful taking the LEGO outdoors on a sunny day.  I used to
have the 5580 Highway Rig on display as a child.  It wasn't even close
to the window, but still all the white parts yellowed.  Yuck!

I have pre dark ages bricks that used to be white too. But they have
been stored in light secure boxes and such so I have no clue how that
occured, I suppose it's aging in the plastic.

Any other thoughts on this?
/Tobbe

Actually, yes (although this won't be terribly helpful). I too have a 5580
that I've left displayed (not in direct sunlight, but it still get's some
sunlight) since I built it (when it came out, roughly 1990). Most of the
pieces are still white (albeit dusty) but a few have yellowed slightly. On
the other hand, I have a 6854 Alien Fossilizer and 6815 Hovertron that I
received and built in 1996 then immediately stored in a wooden drawer. They
both yellowed horribly (I have bricks from the early 70's that aren't that
yellow) but ONLY where the surface was exposed (when I removed bricks from
the Fossilizer, the bits that weren't exposed are still white).

These 2 sets received NO sunlight (or any light, for that matter), yet
yellowed horribly (they darker than my tan bricks, and are very close to
yellow). Yet my Model Team Scale F-15 and 5580 Highway Rig have both been on
display in diffused sunglight for over 10 years, and only some plates have
yellowed, and only slightly. Also, I've heard theories that somehow older
LEGO is more prone to yellowing, yet here is a case where it clearly doesn't
seem to apply.

I have no clue what yellows LEGO but it's not just sunlight that does it,
that's for sure (although how they could be reacting to wood from the drawer
they were put it is unclear to me).

Go figure.

Mark W.