 General / 28784
Re: Ageing Lego Bricks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 16 Mar 2001 16:00:51 GMT

Gary,

I don't think that is the problem, because I started to play with LEGO in 1976
and I was living in Holland. So I am pretty sure that all my bricks are ABS. I
suspect that even keeping ABS at room temperature the bricks change slightly
over the years. I have know idea if LEGO did long term heating tests on ABS
bricks.

I don't know if it is really wise to bleach your white LEGO's, as being a
chemist, I happen to know that polymers can react with chlorine. I am not
sure whether this is the case for ABS.

Guido

In lugnet.general, Gary Istok writes:
Hi Guido,

The problem with 99.9% of all old bricks not fitting together well anymore is • due
to one simple answer.  And that has absolutely nothing to do with storage or • heat
(unless you're talking about a fire or oven temperature).  It is because the • are
made of Cellulose Acetate.  That material was in use from 1955-63 in Europe, • and
from 1961 (the first North American LEGO) thru 1968.   Cellulose Acetate can • most
easily be spotted in red and yellow bricks.  The red bricks are somewhat • lighter
and more orange in color, the yellow bricks have a lighter more "lemon yellow"
color than later bricks.  Blue CA looks slightly different than blue ABS, but • white
and black bricks are very difficult to tell appart (CA vs. ABS).  And in gray, • no
CA bricks were ever produced (they came out later), only some CA plates.

ABS plastic started being produced in 1963, but for some reason, the Samsonite
folks (maker of Lego in USA/Canada at the time) must have had a warehouse full • of
Cellulose Acetate, because there was still a lot of CA Lego in sets as late as • the
late 60's.  There are a lot of cases where Samsonite mixed bricks (usually red • or
yellow CA, and blue or white ABS).  As to the yellowing of bricks, white • obviously
has the most yellowing, but blue and gray bricks also exhibit a lot of • yellowing.
But most of the yellowing occurs with ABS bricks, not the earlier CA ones.

Hope that helps explain it.
Gary Istok