 General / 28818
Re: Ageing Lego Bricks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 17 Mar 2001 04:30:12 GMT

This isn't a problem with the bricks per se... It's how they were made
in that era.  Bricks from the late 70's early 80's had a much tighter
fit.  I'd forgotten this until about 4 or 5 months ago when I got a
brand new still in box set from about 1982 and I was putting the bricks
together and remembered the squeak my bricks used to make when I was
younger.  It was a very sweet sound to my ears, though sure wreaked
havoc on the hands getting the pieces apart.  Then I remembered why a
lot of my bricks from that era have teeth marks in them.  My mom got
tired of breaking nails to get pieces apart and made me resort to
whatever I could to do it myself :(

Tamyra

Guido Heunen wrote:

Hi

Recently I looked into boxes containing some older lego bricks (1970-1985), and
I was very unhappy when I tried to build something. What happend is that these
bricks don't fit anymore easily. I had to force them to be connected. To
deconnect them I had to put (of course) a lot of force on them.

An other problem is that all the white bricks (for sure the older ones) change
colour. Although I keep them in a dark container. For this reason I don't want
to construct my "white" models
(such as the hospital (town) and space shuttle (technic))
because the sunlight (and maybe normal light) makes this problem even worse.

Did someone have the same experience and what can I do.

Guido