 Gaming / 76
Re: New Game
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming
Date:
Fri, 14 Apr 2000 11:29:37 GMT

In lugnet.fun.gaming, Mike Rayhawk writes:
In lugnet.fun.gaming, Richard Franks writes:
Exactly! There will be many predecessors to 'Brik Wars', but that makes no
difference - each system is judged on it's own merits - and having a
non-anoraky alternative (low dice, no lookup) is especially welcome when all

??

I've never heard of 'non-anoraky' before, but it sounds like a useful
adjective.  Where did it come from?

I'm not sure that 'non-anoraky' came from anywhere really! But it makes more
sense when you understand the term 'anorak', which I'm not sure has much
alternative usage outside the UK.. so I'll describe *that* as best I can.

Essentially it comes from a wide spectrum of geeks or nerds, who
(stereotypically) would be seen wearing a sensible anorak, duffal coat or
(usually unfashionably warm-looking) coat. Examples of these would be seen
clutching notepad and pen on train platforms (train-spotting), fingering
through the AD&D section at the local hobby shop, or performing any hobby which
the populous at large could easily categorise as being 'sad' or 'geeky'.

Thus, while someone who plays computer games everyday may be a game-head,
someone who memorises the development team and follows the careers of various
programmers (Eg Julian Gollop: Chaos, Rebelstar Raiders, Rebelstar, Rebelstar
II, Lords of Chaos, Laser Squad, UFO - Enemy Unknown (and sequels),
Magic&Mayhem) would undoubtably be a games-anorak. BTW, 'Chaos' for the
Sinclair Spectrum is undeniably one of the best computer RPG-strategy games
EVER, if you ever download a spectrum emulator, check it out :) (1984, Games
Workshop), but I digress.

Btw, who called it 'Brik' rather than 'Brick'? At least it wasn't called
'Brik Warz', that would be a bit too passé :)

That was my fault, sorry about that.  It was meant as a nod to Lego Wars,
which had units like the "Medik" and "Mechanik."  Waaaaay back last
millennium, roundabout the end of 1995 or so,

Well, from that time-period, I guess I can be thankful that you didn't name it
bRiK WArS ;-)

Richard