 Events / BrickWorld / *406 (-20)
Re: Brickworld - Keynote Speaker Plus...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickworld
Date:
Fri, 25 Jun 2010 14:28:03 GMT

Do you know where I can find the winners of all those nice MOCs we voted for at Brickworld210? Having associated pictures of the winners and nominees would be the icing on the cake.

Thanks

Subject:
OBB Classic Space Layout at BrickWorld 2010
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickworld, lugnet.org.ca.obb
Date:
Thu, 24 Jun 2010 01:04:28 GMT

Hello!

After returning safely back to the cold tundra of Canada following our
all-too-brief stay in the Windy City, I immediately huddled in my igloo and
produced this--

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnAigDoCCRQ

Enjoy!

Dave K

Subject:
Share a room
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickworld
Date:
Wed, 2 Jun 2010 23:57:48 GMT

Hi, my name is Don Cox, GtwLUG, and Lugnet#1239.

I am in need to share a room at the Westin for Thursday thru Sunday night for
Brickworld.  I wasn't able to get a room and I prefer to stay at the Westin.
Please contact me at: the1hugh@yahoo.com.

Thanks, Don

Subject:
Brickworld - Esther Walner Memorial Charity Auction
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickworld, lugnet.fun.community, lugnet.announce, lugnet.general, lugnet.events, lugnet.robotics, lugnet.trains, lugnet.castle, lugnet.pirates, lugnet.space, lugnet.people
Date:
Wed, 2 Jun 2010 01:15:40 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Share - Learn - Explore - Discover

2010: Bricks In Space

Brickworld is only a couple weeks away and you are helping us set records with this year’s event already with a massive 795 registered attendees. While this is incredible, the one record we really love to break every year is the amount of money we collect for the three charities that benefit from the Esther Walner Memorial Charity Auction. To help make sure this happens in 2010, many of you donated T-shirts to use in the making of a quilt for the auction. Thanks to Bunnie Cleland and Barbara Price, we actually have 2 quilts made from these T-shirts.

These quilts are so cool, that we didn’t want them just going to the highest bidder. Instead, we will be raffling tickets to win the quilts with all the raffle proceeds going to the charity auction total. You will be able to buy your raffle tickets for the quilt at the event. But, we wanted to give you a teaser. So, here is a picture of one of the quilts. All we can say is that the picture does NOT do the quilt justice. They are just so awesome in person.

We look forward to seeing you in Chicago!!! Save some money to buy raffle tickets for the quilts.

Regards, the Brickworld Team

Brickworld will be held June 17 - 20, 2010 at the Westin North Shore Hotel in Wheeling, IL (a suburb of Chicago).

visit the Brickworld Web Site by clicking here

Re: Brickworld 2010 Mindstorms competitions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.events.brickworld
Date:
Tue, 18 May 2010 14:25:09 GMT

Sunday is Robot Jousting day.  Again, the rules are posted on the Brickworld
website.

In reference to the Robot Jousting, It isn't clear in the instructions if
'knocking the other robot off once/IF they meet' is ok or not?  I see stuff
like
'SUMO on a tightrope' and the word 'Jousting' which makes me think knock away,
but then there is a reference about 'if the robots actually passed each
other'.
Just want to make sure I don't bring a bot that will be called the schoolyard
bully or the schoolyard wimp if it's doing the opposite of what is expected.

After going around & around with the intent, we decided to make it a
"simple" sumo competition.  The goal is to push your opponent off the
play field.

The normal black-sumo-ring-with-white-line is "squished" down so the
big black circle becomes a line.  (I don't think the actual play field
has been created, yet)

In the event neither robot pushes the other off, before time expires,
the match is won by the robot that is the farthest from it's starting
position when time expires.

As in "normal" sumo, if a robot touches anything but the top surface
of the field, it is considered "out".  This includes the side of the
field (board).  While allowing robots to grab onto the board would
make an interesting event, it is NOT allowed in this event.

Steve

Re: Brickworld 2010 Mindstorms competitions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.events.brickworld
Date:
Tue, 18 May 2010 12:09:13 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, John Brost wrote:
Hello all LEGO Mindstorms robotics lovers,

Brickworld 2010 is coming up very soon, and the competition rules have been
posted to the Brickworld website (www.brickworld.us)  Look for the event rules
under the Challenges tab under Event Info.  We will be running 4
Mindstorm-specific events at Brickworld.

On Thursday, we will be holding a BOTS (Build On The Spot) challenge.  We'll get
the challenge Thursday, be given some time to build, program, and practice, then
we'll compete.  We did this for the first time last year, and it was a lot of
fun.  So remember to bring some loose Mindstorms components with you to
Brickworld so you can take part.

Friday we'll be playing Robot Basketball.  The rules are on the website.

Saturday we'll be competing in the robot portion of the 2009 FIRST LEGO League
Smart Move challenge.  We'll be following all the standard FLL rules &
regulations and using the same scoring system & time limit.

Sunday is Robot Jousting day.  Again, the rules are posted on the Brickworld
website.

I'll try my best to remember to look in here every once in a while to answer any
questions anybody has.

I look forward to seeing all of you at Brickworld :)

John

In reference to the Robot Jousting, It isn't clear in the instructions if
'knocking the other robot off once/IF they meet' is ok or not?  I see stuff like
'SUMO on a tightrope' and the word 'Jousting' which makes me think knock away,
but then there is a reference about 'if the robots actually passed each other'.
Just want to make sure I don't bring a bot that will be called the schoolyard
bully or the schoolyard wimp if it's doing the opposite of what is expected.

Thanks

Sam Forker

Subject:
Brickworld 2010 Mindstorms competitions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.events.brickworld
Date:
Tue, 18 May 2010 03:00:46 GMT

[...]

Subject:
Brickworld - Keynote Speaker Plus...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickworld, lugnet.fun.community, lugnet.announce, lugnet.general, lugnet.events, lugnet.robotics, lugnet.trains, lugnet.castle, lugnet.pirates, lugnet.space, lugnet.people
Date:
Tue, 4 May 2010 02:40:26 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Share - Learn - Explore - Discover

2010: Bricks In Space

A lot has been happening lately as we prepare for Brickworld 2010!!!

We have a wonderful Keynote Speaker from the upper management of LEGO lined up for the event: Lisbeth Valther Pallesen, Executive Vice President for Consumer Education Direct (CED). CED includes: LEGO CLUB, LEGO Digital (Universe/LEGO.com), Community Engagement and Communications (Steve Witt), LEGO Brand Retail, LEGO Shop@Home, LEGO Education, and probably at least one other thing I’m forgetting. We are very excited!!!

Brickworld has also reached almost 600 registered attendees. This sets a new record for attendees and there is still almost a month left to register. Thanks everyone!!

Workshops are almost all lined up. We need to set the times and then we will open up registration for the workshops.

Presentation slots are filling up fast. So, if you would like to contribute your expertise in the form of a 50 minute presentation, please contact us soon.

And, no Brickworld would be complete without a whole pile of really cool stuff for the Esther Walner Memorial Charity Auction. This year is no exception. We have the coolest pile of rare and unique LEGO related items ever for the auction.

The collaborative display coordinators have all asked for more space than ever for each display. And, the World of Lights is back.

This is going to be the best Brickworld so far. You all keep topping yourselves every year.

We look forward to seeing you in Chicago!!!

Regards, the Brickworld Team

Brickworld will be held June 17 - 20, 2010 at the Westin North Shore Hotel in Wheeling, IL (a suburb of Chicago).

visit the Brickworld Web Site by clicking here

Subject:
Castle at Brickworld 2010
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickworld, lugnet.castle, lugnet.loc.us.il.chi
Date:
Fri, 16 Apr 2010 03:01:54 GMT

Hello everyone. I will again be coordinating the Castle display at Brickworld.

Let me start off by giving some basic information about the Brickworld event:

• Website: http://www.brickworld.us/
• Date: Thursday, June 17 - Sunday, June 20
• Location: Westin Hotel in Wheeling, Illinois (same as previous years)
• Registration cost: $50
• MOC table size: Each table is 30”X72”
• Hotel room costs: $119 per night (That’s half of their going rate. Please be aware that you have to sign up through Brickworld by May 26 to get the special discounted rate.) They tell me that the rooms are going faster this year than they ever have, so don’t delay if you plan on staying at the Westin.
• The first 750 registrants that are paid in full by May 20, 2010 will receive an engraved name badge and goody bag.

Classic-Castle’s own Baron von Ellermann will be the Pirates Coordinator again this year. We will have the collaborative Castle and Pirate layouts near each other with a sea/water area between them similar to what we had setup last year. (The return of the Blue Baseplate may provide fodder for this, but using a blue cloth on the tables is certainly an option too.) We’re hoping to have more table space this year also. I will be able to confirm table space for the collaborative layout after April 25.

Ben had a great idea of including something Spacey in the displays this year in cooperation with this year’s event theme. Now I know what some of you are thinking: “WHAT?! I don’t want Space in with my Castle stuff!” Don’t worry my friends. Just keep in mind that in the Castle area Castle rules! There is absolutely no reason why Spacemen coming through some time portal have to be doing anything besides getting attacked and having their ships smashed to pieces. :D

If anyone has ideas for something special you’d like to do in the Castle display or something that you’d like to see included, please let me know. I’m always up for new ideas.

Please also remember to fill out the “MOC info” on the Brickworld site once you’ve registered. (This is for all MOC’s, not just Castle ones.) If you plan on including a Castle MOC in the collaborative display, make sure to click the “Classic Castle City” checkbox in your registration information. The checkboxes can be changed, so you can update them if your building plans change. Feel free to mention any Castle MOC’s you’re bringing in this thread as well.

If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to email me.

David Gregory
Brickworld Castle Coordinator

Re: Brickworld - Premiere Item
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickworld
Date:
Sat, 10 Apr 2010 15:44:49 GMT

Hey everyone - here is a little additional informatinon on LEGO A Love Story.

And - I was lucky enough to receive a copy this week. It is a great book!! Of course, I am double excited because it talks about Brickworld too.

About the Book:

An adult LEGO fan’s dual quest: to build with bricks and build a family

There are 62 LEGO bricks for every person in the world, and at age 30, Jonathan Bender realized that he didn’t have a single one of them. While reconsidering his childhood dream of becoming a master model builder for The LEGO Group, he discovers the men and women who are skewing the averages with collections of hundreds of thousands of LEGO bricks. What is it about the ubiquitous, brightly colored toys that makes them so hard for everyone to put down?

In search of answers and adventure, Jonathan Bender sets out to explore the quirky world of adult fans of LEGO (AFOLs) while becoming a builder himself. As he participates in challenges at fan conventions, searches for the largest private collection in the United States, and visits LEGO headquarters (where he was allowed into the top secret set vault), he finds his LEGO journey twinned with a second creative endeavor—to have a child. His two worlds intertwine as he awaits the outcome: Will he win a build competition or bring a new fan of LEGO into the world? Like every really good love story, this one has surprises—and a happy ending.

· Explores the world of adult fans of LEGO, from rediscovering the childhood joys of building with LEGO to evaluating LEGO’s place in culture and art

· Takes an inside look at LEGO conventions, community taboos, and build challenges and goes behind-the-scenes at LEGO headquarters and LEGOLAND

· Tells a warm and personal story about the attempt to build with LEGO and build a family

Whether you’re an avid LEGO freak or a onetime fan who now shares LEGO bricks with your children, this book will appeal to the inner builder in you and reignite a love for all things LEGO.

About the Author:

Jonathan Bender is a freelance features writer; his work has appeared in Time Out New York, Women’s Health, CNN.com, ESPN.com, and the Kansas City Star. This is his first book. He lives in Kansas City, Missouri, with his wife, Kate, and has significantly more than the 62 LEGO bricks that exist for every man, woman, and child in the world today.

Re: Brickworld - Build On The Spot Challenge
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickworld
Date:
Thu, 1 Apr 2010 14:31:32 GMT

In lugnet.events.brickworld, Bryan Bonahoom wrote:

Share - Learn - Explore - Discover

2010: Bricks In Space

The Brickworld Team has arranged to create and execute our second annual Build On-The-Spot (BOTS) challenge at this year’s event.

Yeah, I’m in too...

John

Re: Brickworld - Build On The Spot Challenge
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickworld
Date:
Wed, 31 Mar 2010 22:12:44 GMT

In lugnet.events.brickworld, Steve Hassenplug wrote:

   The Brickworld Team has arranged to create and execute our second annual Build On-The-Spot (BOTS) challenge at this year’s event. This challenge will be completed in addition to the regular Mindstorms displays and events.

So, the BOTS challenge will begin at 2 PM on Thursday afternoon. The contest will be held Thursday evening starting at 8 PM. (times are subject to adjustment)

I had a lot of fun with this last year, and look forward to doing it again. I’m just mad Bryan never told me anything about it, until now!

Looks like we have an hour less, this year. Are you sure that’s a good idea, Bryan?

Cool.

Steve

Actually - I made it an hour shorter (specifically starting an hour later) to give people more of a chance to participate. I am flexible and willing to provide the challenge as early as all the partipants can make themselves available (hotel space permitting). That’s why I called the 2 PM time tentative. Eventually, I plan to ask all those participating what time they would be available to start.

I think that the more time you have, the more fun the contest will be.

Bryan

Re: Brickworld - Build On The Spot Challenge
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickworld
Date:
Wed, 31 Mar 2010 20:35:44 GMT

   The Brickworld Team has arranged to create and execute our second annual Build On-The-Spot (BOTS) challenge at this year’s event. This challenge will be completed in addition to the regular Mindstorms displays and events.

So, the BOTS challenge will begin at 2 PM on Thursday afternoon. The contest will be held Thursday evening starting at 8 PM. (times are subject to adjustment)

I had a lot of fun with this last year, and look forward to doing it again. I’m just mad Bryan never told me anything about it, until now!

Looks like we have an hour less, this year. Are you sure that’s a good idea, Bryan?

Cool.

Steve

Re: Brickworld - Build On The Spot Challenge
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickworld
Date:
Wed, 31 Mar 2010 14:44:08 GMT

I’m in. Can’t do any worse than last year, the only place to go is up...

Tom

Re: Brickworld - Build On The Spot Challenge
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickworld
Date:
Wed, 31 Mar 2010 02:00:36 GMT

In lugnet.events.brickworld, Bryan Bonahoom wrote:
   .... If you plan to participate, please respond to this message so we know we have plenty of participants like last year.

We look forward to seeing you in Chicago!!!

Regards, the Brickworld Team

Brickworld will be held June 17 - 20, 2010 at the Westin North Shore Hotel in Wheeling, IL (a suburb of Chicago).

visit the Brickworld Web Site by clicking here

Count me in.

Sam Forker

Subject:
Brickworld - Build On The Spot Challenge
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickworld, lugnet.fun.community, lugnet.announce, lugnet.general, lugnet.events, lugnet.robotics, lugnet.trains, lugnet.castle, lugnet.pirates, lugnet.space, lugnet.people
Date:
Tue, 30 Mar 2010 23:53:24 GMT

Share - Learn - Explore - Discover

2010: Bricks In Space

The Brickworld Team has arranged to create and execute our second annual Build On-The-Spot (BOTS) challenge at this year’s event. This challenge will be completed in addition to the regular Mindstorms displays and events.

So, the BOTS challenge will begin at 2 PM on Thursday afternoon. The contest will be held Thursday evening starting at 8 PM. (times are subject to adjustment)

The BOTS challenge requires that you gain comprehension of the rules, construct a robot and program your robot in the 6 hours between 2 PM and 8 PM. The BOTS rules will be revealed at 2 PM. The rest is up to you.

Unlike last year, a team is not required. You must be a fully registered Brickworld attendee to participate and teaming up is encouraged.

Remember, this year’s Brickworld theme is 2010: Bricks in Space. As for the rest of the rules...well, your guess is, uh...your guess.

If you plan to participate, please respond to this message so we know we have plenty of participants like last year.

We look forward to seeing you in Chicago!!!

Regards, the Brickworld Team

Brickworld will be held June 17 - 20, 2010 at the Westin North Shore Hotel in Wheeling, IL (a suburb of Chicago).

visit the Brickworld Web Site by clicking here

Subject:
Brickworld - Premiere Item
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickworld, lugnet.fun.community, lugnet.announce, lugnet.general, lugnet.events, lugnet.robotics, lugnet.trains, lugnet.castle, lugnet.pirates, lugnet.space, lugnet.people
Date:
Sun, 28 Mar 2010 13:41:24 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Share - Learn - Explore - Discover

2010: Bricks In Space

Brickworld is excited to announce that Jonathan Bender, author of “LEGO - A Love Story” will be attending Brickworld this year.

In honor of this, we have made arrangements with his publisher for the book to be available to registered attendees at a discount ($20 instead of the $24.95 retail price) if it is purchased through our preorder site. In addition, Jonathan has agreed to autograph all of the pre-order books.

Jonathan will also be making presentations at Brickworld about his experience writing the book; which included Brickworld 2008.

Don’t miss this wonderful opportunity to own a piece of LEGO history.

The book is posted for preorder along with all the other preorder items at http://www.brickworld.us/bw2010/view/preorder/

Just sign in to your account to place your order. And, as a bonus, any LEGO Architecture set purchased via the preorder site will be autographed by the designer (Adam Reed Tucker).

All preorder items will be waiting for you when you check in at the event in Chicago.

We look forward to seeing everyone in Chicago. Stay tuned for more information.

Regards, the Brickworld Team

Brickworld will be held June 17 - 20, 2010 at the Westin North Shore Hotel in Wheeling, IL (a suburb of Chicago).

visit the Brickworld Web Site by clicking here

Subject:
Brickworld - 2010 Event Kits & Preorder
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickworld, lugnet.fun.community, lugnet.announce, lugnet.general, lugnet.events, lugnet.robotics, lugnet.trains, lugnet.castle, lugnet.pirates, lugnet.space, lugnet.people
Date:
Thu, 11 Mar 2010 00:15:15 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Share - Learn - Explore - Discover

2010: Bricks In Space

Brickworld is happy to announce that we have designed 2, yes, TWO classic space themed event kits for the 2010 event. The kits are:

Moon Rover

Speedster Spaceship

These kits are posted for preorder along with all the other preorder items at http://www.brickworld.us/bw2010/view/preorder/

Just sign in to your account to place your order. And, as a bonus, any LEGO Architecture set purchased via the preorder site will be autographed by the designer (Adam Reed Tucker).

All preorder items will be waiting for you when you check in at the event in Chicago. Event kits are available only while supplies last.

Stay tuned for more information.

Regards, the Brickworld Team

Brickworld will be held June 17 - 20, 2010 at the Westin North Shore Hotel in Wheeling, IL (a suburb of Chicago).

visit the Brickworld Web Site by clicking here

Subject:
2010 Brickworld Theme
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickworld, lugnet.fun.community, lugnet.announce, lugnet.general, lugnet.events, lugnet.robotics, lugnet.trains, lugnet.castle, lugnet.pirates, lugnet.space, lugnet.people
Date:
Wed, 10 Feb 2010 01:23:25 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Share - Learn - Explore - Discover

After much deliberation, the Brickworld Team is excited to announce that the theme for this year’s event is:

2010: Bricks In Space

So, let’s all try to work something “spacey” into our displays somewhere in honor of all things space.

We have worked a LEGO(R) Classic Space look into the two event kits. Pictures of the kits will be posted soon on the Brickworld website. They will be posted in conjunction with the start of merchandise pre-sales for the event.

Start building now and remember to include lighting for the 2nd annual World of Lights Collaboration.

Stay tuned for more information.

Regards, the Brickworld Team

Brickworld will be held June 17 - 20, 2010 at the Westin North Shore Hotel in Wheeling, IL (a suburb of Chicago).

visit the Brickworld Web Site by clicking here

Subject:
Brickworld Registration Open
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickworld, lugnet.fun.community, lugnet.announce, lugnet.general, lugnet.events, lugnet.robotics, lugnet.trains, lugnet.castle, lugnet.pirates, lugnet.space, lugnet.people
Date:
Fri, 1 Jan 2010 16:56:19 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

Share - Learn - Explore - Discover

The team at Brickworld is excited to announce that registration for the 2010 event at the Westin is now open.

Preorder items will be posted on the web site soon (including 2 event kits).

The theme is picked...the event kits are designed...the artwork is in process...things are in full swing. Don’t wait.

Start building now and remember to include lighting for the 2nd annual World of Lights Collaboration.

Stay tuned for more information.

Regards, the Brickworld Team

Brickworld will be held June 17 - 20, 2010 at the Westin North Shore Hotel in Wheeling, IL (a suburb of Chicago).

visit the Brickworld Web Site by clicking here

Redisplay Messages:  Brief | Compact