 Events / BrickFest / 2296

Re: general session starting.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickfest, lugnet.lego, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Tue, 17 Feb 2004 20:33:19 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.events.brickfest, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
   This is the text of Jake’s speech.
snipped

I really hate to say this, but rather than feeling inspired about the great future to come, Jake’s speech has instead left me completely disheartened. The bottom line is this: TLG has betrayed my trust. And unfortunately, the only way I can see them regaining it is by changing the grays back, which looks like is not going to happen. I can’t believe that 20+ years of momentum cannot overcome the last say 2 years when the so-called color “improvement” decision was made.

TLG as a whole seems to have little concept of its fan community. We are LEGO’s greatest evangelists. We bring others into the hobby and provide an incredible amount of inspiration and free advertising. It’s often touted that we only represent 5% of sales. I dispute that claim. I agree that AFOL sales may represent only 5% of TLG sales as a whole. But if TLG sales are dominated by Bionicle, where AFOLs have little interest, this dilutes our relative contribution. Likewise, if DUPLO, Clickits, etc. are included, our relative contribution is further lessened. On the other hand, TLG’s decisions in these areas hold less interest for most AFOLs. But what about the themes where the AFOLs’ interests lie primarily: Technic, Star Wars, Sculptures, Legends, etc. I’m sure our relative sales are significantly greater than 5%. For S@H-Exclusives and Hard-to-Finds, such as the ISD or 8455 Backhoe, AFOL sales may even dominate. It makes plain sense to seriously consider AFOL interests/opinions in the themes and issues where we actually care.

None of this seems to matter, however. TLG barely has (had?) a clue that AFOLs exist. Apparently, many in TLG were surprised that customers were upset by the color change. They had no clue that anyone might care about the 20-yr-standard colors. In essence, the thought hadn’t even crossed their minds! Jake and Brad have made great strides in waking up TLG to our presence. And I do believe that his post above is sincere and his intentions are true. But how much can one person do? It’s hard to get the battleship to change course. Despite Jake’s best efforts, his little tugboat cannot keep the battleship from plowing over the AFOL sailboats, which are (supposedly) too little for it to see.

I recently took the AC Nielsen survey about the 8455 Backhoe, a set that obviously relies on strong AFOL sales, since people must actively seek it out to purchase it. After asking if I was a “Boy” or a “Girl”, it asked for my birthday and who the purchase was for, so it did know that I am an adult and bought it for myself. Questions included how “cool” I thought the model was compared to my other toys, how “cool” my friends thought it was, how “cool” the box was or how “cool” minifigs are compared to my other toys, whether I needed help from my parents or friends to build the model, and asked me how well I agreed with some statements made by “other children”. These are the issues TLG cares about (how cool...) and the style of the questions shows where their focus lies. They’re blind to my presence as an AFOL. (Perhaps this example is unfair, since the survey is run by a third party.)

As with all things, part of the blame lies with us, the AFOL community. (As an aside, note that this community arose with essentially no participation/help/interest from TLG.) Jake, in nearly every discussion regarding the color change issue, mentioned that TLG had gotten very little negtive response through the channels they watch, Customer Service. (Of course, relatively few customers actually know the change is a permanent replacement, rather than an additional color.) In this (spotlighted) thread http://news.lugnet.com/general/?n=44983, I made a plea for the community to write letters to TLG. The thread got 18 responses. How many letters did the community send to TLG? 25? 50? 100? I doubt much more. People were quick to respond to Jake’s threads with complaints and to set up polls, etc. How many of those posts/results were seen by anyone at TLG other than Jake? If we want to succeed, we need to put our protests in the places where TLG is looking. Margaret Mead said “Never underestimate the ability of a small group of conscientious individuals to change the world. Indeed it is the only thing that ever has.” We need to lash our boats together so the corporate battleship can’t help but see us!

As Jake has basically said, the awareness/involvement of AFOLs in the corporate mind is increasing (and I thank him for it). I think a main reason for this desire to include AFOLs, however, is the incredible success of LEGO Direct. This is fine. LD’s success is due in large part to their engagement of AFOLs. Through the Sculpture, Legend, S@H-exclusive, etc. lines, LD has proven that capturing the AFOL market can increase TLG’s bottom line. We’re here. We want to give TLG our money. Well, we did. But TLG corporate is making it so difficult by sapping LEGO’s appeal to us.

I’ll end this post the way I started it. The definition Jake gave of LEGO community revolves around the concept of “LEGO Moments”. One of my most memorable LEGO moments was deciding that I, as an adult, could buy the UCS TIE Interceptor for myself and enjoy it, which led to my emergence from my Dark Age. Unfortunately, another equally powerful moment that has indelibly marked my LEGO experience was the betrayal I felt (and still feel) finding out that TLG had replaced light and dark gray. How could they be so ignorant and careless? I know they weren’t actively trying to “screw” me, but rather were just oblivious to the fact that I might care.

I’ll close with some quotes from Jake’s speech notes that particularly hurt:

“LEGO Community Development, also known as LCD, is focused on one main goal: help build and maintain relationships with our core consumers. ...

The important thing for all of us to remember, especially all of you, is that if you aren’t happy, then the relationship is setup wrong. ...

But this is a relationship, and relationships are long term. In order to do anything long term, you’re going to have hits and misses. Together, we’re going to fall but not fail.”

-With such a spectacularly terrible start, it’s hard to get our hopes up.

“I hope that your trust in me continues to grow. I’m your advocate, and I’m your voice in the company. I fight daily, literally daily, to get your questions and requests answered.”

-Thank you sincerely Jake. It’s a shame that it has to be such a battle.

“So to conclude, 2003 was an amazing community year, but I truly believe 2004 is going to put it to shame!”

-I think TLG corporate has already put 2003 to shame.

“Everybody goes home happy!”

-If only it were so.

Re: general session starting.