 Duplo / 156

Re: DINOTRON: A cross-system hybrid MOC theme
Newsgroups:
lugnet.duplo, lugnet.publish
Date:
Sun, 2 Apr 2000 20:26:38 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.duplo, Tobias Möller writes:
Wow, great MOC:s! They remind me of an anime I saw once, called "the planet
of the dinosaurs". That was about man and dinosaur living together, but it
was not hi-tech, it was more like the Roman Empire.

I'd love to see that!  Maybe I can find it in my local video store.  EricJ
also mentioned there is some short animated series called Cadillac Dinosaur
(or something like that) which is similar too.

Anyway, I really like the way you've used DUPLO elements together with
bricks to make those war-machines. There's just one thing I wonder: Can
that triceratops really move? He looks like he's stuck in there :-)

He can move just as well as the others!  :)

On the other hand, Triceratopses are very strong, perhaps that's why he's
carrying the heavy artillery?

Well, he's actually not carrying heavy artillery...he's got two SRM-3's but
those big things on the side are plasma turbine drill cutters.  (That's how he
gets his name Yatsuzaki, which means "to rip apart limb from limb."  :o)  The
way it works is that the drill spins at high speed and cuts the flesh, hide,
or shell of the opponent while the spinning plasma lasers emit a molecular
disruption pattern to break down the structure for easier grinding.

I also have to make a comment on those *fabulous* photos! They're sharp,
they have great colours, and they're all really enjoyable to watch! What
camera are you using? A digital one? Or a normal camera? judging by the
photo quality, the camera seems expensive.

It's a Sony Mavica FD-91, which takes 1024x768 and exports them as JPEGs on
floppy disks.  The sharpness comes from using a really bright light, which
increases the depth of field and puts more of the subject in focus.  I also
post-processed the images using The GIMP[1] and cleaned up some of the larger
dust particles and scratches that become more visible under brighter light.
The shadows and the light-brown gradient background are completely fake.

--Todd

[1] http://www.gimp.org/

Re: DINOTRON: A cross-system hybrid MOC theme
I'd love to see that!  Maybe I can find it in my local video store.  EricJ
also mentioned there is some short animated series called Cadillac Dinosaur
(or something like that) which is similar too.

Perhaps you can find it. I´ve looked all over the web for info about it, but
only found some pages telling me about where I can watch it. AFAIKm the only
way to watch it is by watcxhing the German channel "tm3", where they air a
German dub.

Well, he's actually not carrying heavy artillery...he's got two SRM-3's but
those big things on the side are plasma turbine drill cutters.  (That's how he
gets his name Yatsuzaki, which means "to rip apart limb from limb."  :o)  The
way it works is that the drill spins at high speed and cuts the flesh, hide,
or shell of the opponent while the spinning plasma lasers emit a molecular
disruption pattern to break down the structure for easier grinding.

And I thought I was creative when it came to LEGO weapons :-)

It's a Sony Mavica FD-91, which takes 1024x768 and exports them as JPEGs on
floppy disks.  The sharpness comes from using a really bright light, which
increases the depth of field and puts more of the subject in focus.  I also
post-processed the images using The GIMP[1] and cleaned up some of the larger
dust particles and scratches that become more visible under brighter light.
The shadows and the light-brown gradient background are completely fake.

Well, since I post-process my images too I can't say anyrthing about it.
Thanks for that bright-light tip, my images are usually quite blurry, perhaps
it's because I never have a light good enough. I fake backgrounds too, the
star-cluttered sky on my HUGO(1)-pages are completely fake as well.

--Tobias

http://m1.876.telia.com/~u87609425/hugo/index.html

Re: DINOTRON: A cross-system hybrid MOC theme
Wow, great MOC:s! They remind me of an anime I saw once, called "the planet
of the dinosaurs". That was about man and dinosaur living together, but it
was not hi-tech, it was more like the Roman Empire.

I'd love to see that!  Maybe I can find it in my local video store.  EricJ
also mentioned there is some short animated series called Cadillac Dinosaur
(or something like that) which is similar too.

Cadillacs and Dinosaurs.  It was, I beleive, a comic book first, then a toy
line and an animated series at the same time.  It's only kind of vaguely like
them though, in that there are dinosaurs with armor and weapons strapped on
them.  The style of the armor in C&D is much less flamboyant and, IMHO, much
less cool.

eric

Re: DINOTRON: A cross-system hybrid MOC theme
Cadillacs and Dinosaurs.  It was, I beleive, a comic book first, then a toy
line and an animated series at the same time.  It's only kind of vaguely like
them though, in that there are dinosaurs with armor and weapons strapped on
them.  The style of the armor in C&D is much less flamboyant and, IMHO, much
less cool.

I am (mis?)remembering being at a con and playtesting (or trying to, it wasn't
very baked yet) a version of an RPG based on the comic book. Circa late 80s
early 90s??

Can't remember clearly, someone was filking nearby which of course washed away
the memory. :-)

++Lar (whose favorite RPG has GOT to be Paranoia)

In lugnet.duplo, Larry Pieniazek writes:
In lugnet.duplo, Eric Joslin writes:

Cadillacs and Dinosaurs.  It was, I beleive, a comic book first, then a toy
line and an animated series at the same time.  It's only kind of vaguely like
them though, in that there are dinosaurs with armor and weapons strapped on
them.  The style of the armor in C&D is much less flamboyant and, IMHO, much
less cool.

I am (mis?)remembering being at a con and playtesting (or trying to, it wasn't
very baked yet) a version of an RPG based on the comic book. Circa late 80s
early 90s??

Probably yes.  I was going to include it in my list of versions of Cadillacs
and Dinosaurs, but I was unsure if it ever existed, or if *I* was
misremembering, so I left it off.  With your hazy memories added to mine,
though, I think we can officially say it existed.

Can't remember clearly, someone was filking nearby which of course washed away
the memory. :-)

Damn filkers.  Do what I do, douse them in gasoline and light them on fire.

++Lar (whose favorite RPG has GOT to be Paranoia)

Paranoia is pretty good, actually.  It's a fun time.  I think every group of
gaming friends should play at least one adventure of it, because it will
forever make you realise what a bastard is sitting next to you playing an elf.

My favorite RPG, though, is currently Champions.  Role playing superheroes is
about as good as it gets, and the system is the most adaptable I've ever seen.
I actually started *running* a Champs game recently, because my life wasn't
nearly busy enough.  Shudder.

eric

Re: DINOTRON: A cross-system hybrid MOC theme
I vaguely remember a group of coders that called themselves Rocket Science
and were supposed to be the next big thing in gaming.  It never panned out,
but I think they did a title called Cadillacs and Dinosaurs...

Build On!

John Matthews