 Castle / 5485
Re: Peasant House...Marc
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle, lugnet.build
Date:
Fri, 21 Jul 2000 15:24:52 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Marc Nelson, Jr. writes:
Hey Kyle - Have you seen Eric Kingsley's castle site? He has some really nice
stuff. His houses were what inspired me to build mine. Here's a link:
http://www.nelug.org/members/kingsley/castle/

A note on historical accuracy:

Lego, ah Lego. It's true that when we build we choose how things will look and
we can make any concessions that we want. In Lego, there is no real need for
historical accuracy, but for those who seek it (or something close) I have some
suggestions.
First, go out and get David Macaulay's book Castle. This is a line draw story
that is about the building of a fictitious 13th century castle, but the
backgroung is historically correct.
Peasents would never have had windows, usually they cover opening with oiled
skins. Glass was very expensive and left only for the rich. Most people lived
in one story simple structures, (Eric's houses are bar nore the best here)
while tradesmen live above the shop. The Tudor style started as Wattle and Daub
which is like modern plastering. The heavy beams are a houses skeleton and the
skin is a lathe with Daub mud mixture spread over to keep the elements out.
As for furniture, rarely would peasents or tradesmen have anything more than
log type benches.
Structures differ depending on where in Europe you are, but few are real fancy.
Chris's house is large and could be considered to be a well to do tradesmans or
merchants house.

I think building castles is great, but a real challenge is the town that it
defends!

Have fun...

GREG~

I'm really not this anal, but I thought you would like some ideas.