 Castle / 4199
Re: Drawbridges
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Wed, 12 Apr 2000 19:17:21 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Christopher Lindsey writes:
What I'm setting up is a retractable drawbridge that operates
with the Technic 1x4 Gear Rack (a plate with teeth:

Of course, the biggest problem is keeping the thing from
catching on the blue plates that it's supposed to span.  I
could use blue tiles on the water, but it would look kind
of goofy.  What would really be slick would be some way
of putting the drawbridge (just the plank part) upside down
so I could put tiles on *it*, but then I need a plate with
a male stud on both sides so that I can attach the piece
mentioned above.

I would personally use the round, 2x2 'disc tiles' or whatever they are
called.  Slightly curved bottom, 4 studs on top, so they can attach to the
bottom of your drawbridge plate.  They're often used on small boats to
keep them from 'sticking' to the baseplates.

Current sets that have them include the X-Wing and the Flash Speeder.

You might also try elevating the drawbridge slightly and keeping it level
using some sort of slot mechanism - that way it wouldn't 'drag' on the
baseplate studs.  The 'slot and t' bricks would work well for this.
(B-Wing, Gungan Sub, some Aquazone sets I think).  You could also rig
something up using tiles & plates...

Good luck!