 Castle / 4198
Re: Drawbridges
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Wed, 12 Apr 2000 19:09:04 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Christopher Lindsey writes:
I've seen lots of different (and awesome) drawbridges on
people's castles here, but I've never seen one like I'm
about to attempt.  I'm curious if anyone has done this, and
if so, how they dealt with the issue of the drawbridge
getting caught on studs.

But I'm getting ahead of myself.  :)

What I'm setting up is a retractable drawbridge that operates
with the Technic 1x4 Gear Rack (a plate with teeth:

  http://www.lugnet.com/cad/ldraw/parts/ref/images/3743.gif

Of course, the biggest problem is keeping the thing from
catching on the blue plates that it's supposed to span.  I
could use blue tiles on the water, but it would look kind
of goofy.  What would really be slick would be some way
of putting the drawbridge (just the plank part) upside down
so I could put tiles on *it*, but then I need a plate with
a male stud on both sides so that I can attach the piece
mentioned above.

I suppose I could put the gear rack on an 'L' and have it
on the side, but I'm not sure I like that.

Am I making any sense?  Anyone have a good, working solution
that doesn't involve glue?  :)

Chris
--

A long time ago, I experimented w/ this style of bridge... I used tiles to
start and manually retracted it w/ my finger...I later added a winch, but

I eventually scrapped the idea when my bridge span became too long and I had
run out of the proper Technic pieces to do a geared bridge....before I moved
on though...I tried using the town small wheels underneath part of the span
to aid motion...this was many years ago when lego came out w/ the nonstudded
wheel hubs that allowed bricks to be placed on either side of the wheels to
hide their presence.

I hope this explanation is more helpful than confusing
= )