 Castle / 3748

Subject:
Non-gray castles or "What I did with all the bulk bricks"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Sun, 26 Mar 2000 03:17:58 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

Hey!

Well, after buying a few of the blue tubs for the green pieces I decided to
mess around with a red castle (far from over).  I was mostly down after
seeing the creations by Dave and Eric.  To me they made the castle wall
section obselete.  But did they ... ?

That got me thinking ... could gray castle sections be used sparingly such
that they would blend in and almost become invisible ... ?  What about black
castles?  Hmmm ... black bricks are probably less expensive than the grey
ones, so that's where I will begin to mess around.

BUT ... like most people that tried taking pictures of black models - it
isn't pretty.  (Tips on this from anyone by the way?).  I would have to try
something different.  That's where the the idea for a red fortress hit me.
A combination of red and black works very well IMHO (although Craig is
probably the person to ask about that;).  As does blue and black, and I do
plan on making something yellow and black down the road.

So here a little result of what this will be (a small fortress that will be
joined to a mountain on one side:

http://web.utk.edu/~pnazarew/castle/redwalls/

The second point are the castle walls.  I think that when used spaced out
they can be pretty effective to conserve bricks.  I am not sure how well gray
with gray looks, but red and black looks a little weird at first.  After I
slept on it it didn't look half bad though.

I'm in for five more weeks of heck, so unless I receive some serious
inspiration during that time, I will have to focus on school ... (Serious
Inspiration = His/Her Deviness coming down and telling me that The Time To
Finish My Castle has come ... )

I will be lurking and maybe doing a little bit of building (to my City in
the Forest) as soon as my pieces from Troy come.

Let me know what you think ... Gray will always rule castles in European
style building (I think), but red (clay, vulcano, blue (water), white
(marble, ivory), yellow (sand ... ?) can still make some pretty nice castles.

-- pn

Re: Non-gray castles or "What I did with all the bulk bricks"
In lugnet.castle, Pawel Nazarewicz writes:

BUT ... like most people that tried taking pictures of black models - it
isn't pretty.  (Tips on this from anyone by the way?).  I would have to try
something different.  That's where the the idea for a red fortress hit me.
A combination of red and black works very well IMHO (although Craig is
probably the person to ask about that;).  As does blue and black, and I do
plan on making something yellow and black down the road.

So here a little result of what this will be (a small fortress that will be
joined to a mountain on one side:

http://web.utk.edu/~pnazarew/castle/redwalls/

The second point are the castle walls.  I think that when used spaced out
they can be pretty effective to conserve bricks.  I am not sure how well gray
with gray looks, but red and black looks a little weird at first.  After I
slept on it it didn't look half bad though.

Excellent effort Pawel,
Who said all castles had to be grey(gray). This is the world of Lego after all
where primary colour towns are standard. The key is to always use combinations
of colours and in appropriate proportions to highlight certain features. About
the only combo I'd rule it so far is an ICE PLANET 2002 castle.

more colours in more volumes NOW ...(please :>0  )
- pete.w.

Re: Non-gray castles or "What I did with all the bulk bricks"