 Castle / 2032
Re: [CW] FAQ - War
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Sun, 30 Jan 2000 00:00:08 GMT

Shiri wrote:
In lugnet.castle, Pawel Nazarewicz writes:

Here
are some examples of a mutually beneficial war situation:

Member A wants to attack Member B.  He e-mails him or her and declares his
intent about it, as well as the reasons for it.

I like it so far. How about mentioning the exact areas planned to be attacked?

Definitely.  I envision this sort of thing as going like this:

Me: "Hey Shiri...remember how my area borders on yours?  There's this group
of bandits that's been plaguing my villages, and I thought it would be neat
if they framed your country for the attacks.  Here's the general area...here's
what my King would be likely to do...what do you think?

You: "Sounds neat.  Maybe your forces could burn a village...and one of the
villagers would go to the King and request help, or find a nearby encampment
of Ocean Cubs."

Me: "Great! Then the Cubs could trap the expeditionary force in the remains of
the village...maybe a seige...yadda yadda blah blah."

Member B has a character
that is in the area that Member A wants to attack. He or she plans for
everyone to get
either killed or captured so that he or she can then go back in a follow-up
and rescue his
or her people or other characters.

I lost you here. Who plans for everybody to get killed? Who are
these "everybody", the characters?

This was just an example of deciding 'what happens'.  In this case, the
defender has no problem with his area being sacked and the people there
destroyed or captured, because it makes for an interesting story.

Even though whatever structures might
have been destroyed, they are still listed in the history under "War between
... " or "The Scimage of ... "  The bricks, no longer being needed for futher
storyline pictures of that area, can then be used to rebuild.

I like this, but if buildings are to be destroyed this MUST be a decision of
the attacked member, not the attacker!

Definitely...all outcomes would be negotiated between the two
participants!

If Member B is not ready to plan a story, then there is no war - or the war
is simply delayed.

Or, if member B doesn't WANT a war at all, right?

Right.  Like any kind of shared-world writing project, all the
interaction between the characters or areas of two different people
needs to be negotiated out between all involved parties.

I hope this clears one of the questions up.

It does, but I still have another question:

Q. Who determines who wins? Or maybe *how* do we determine who wins?

In war, nobody really wins. Except maybe the vultures. 8)

OK, now that I've spouted a bit of philosophy, I'll give you a serious
answer - who determines who wins?  The people involved.  How?  Discussion
and negotiation. I'd just like everyone to remember that sometimes, "losing"
can be as much fun - or even more fun - than winning.  Remember, this is a
story-writing group, not a game, so *you* aren't losing just because your
characters do.

sakura@mediaone.net     is     Jeff Johnston       http://www.io.com/~jeffj
My LEGO Web page has moved!  Go to: http://people.ne.mediaone.net/sakura
Check out my Trade List and Want List - * - Last Updated 12/19/1999
LEGO Geek Code:  SP+ CA +++ (375/6075) PI +++ #++ S--/++ LS++ Hal  M+ A++  YB73m