 Castle / 20309
Re: Why I kept my age a secret
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people.teens, lugnet.space, lugnet.build, lugnet.castle
Date:
Fri, 24 Sep 2004 06:29:51 GMT

In lugnet.people.teens, Paul Baulch wrote:
   In lugnet.people.teens, Daniel Rubin wrote:

I think this important to note. I think alot of us, or at least myself, get stuck in a “if you don’t have something nice to say, don’t say anything at all” mentality. I will keep this in mind and try and do more critiquing... says the guy who hasn’t posted in a couple weeks because he’s too busy with work and school.

Critiquing is tough. I’ve been giving ad-hoc critiques of almost everything for years and I still haven’t got the hang of it... in fact, I often get the feeling that it has worked against my favour. I don’t think I’d recommend it. Then again, maybe you’re talking about something slightly different!

I reckon you’re pretty fair with your critiques, Paul. But you’re right, they can be difficult, mainly because one is always unsure how they will be taken.

Here’s what I reckon: If you want your work critiqued, ask for it, even to the point of inviting people to be brutally honest. But, be prepared for people to take you up on it - I know it can be hard to accept what may appear to be a negative comment. So, if someone, particularly if it’s a builder you admire, rips your model to shreds, don’t get your shackles up, but look at it as an opportunity to learn from the masters.

On the other side, when critiqueing a model, ‘it sucks’ isn’t very helpful. Point out aspects that do or don’t work, and explain why. If something doesn’t work, offer a suggestion on how it may be improved. Be nice.

At the risk of speaking for others, I think we all like to see builders improve their skills, and only want to help. For me, being relatively new here myself, I’ve found great value in others ideas on how to improve my mocs (whether I implement them or not). Which is not to say that my vanity doesn’t also appreciate the Back Patting posts though. :)

Cheers,

Allister