 People / Teens / 18
Re: Why I kept my age a secret
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people.teens
Date:
Sat, 25 Sep 2004 20:57:49 GMT

In lugnet.people.teens, Kevin Blocksidge wrote:
Hey everybody. (follow-up to the first post in .teen
http://news.lugnet.com/people/teens/?n=3)

I discovered Lugnet when I was about 13.  It was the single coolest website I
had ever seen.  I wanted to join in as soon as possible, but while lurking, I
realized certain things.

Firstly, Lugnet was designed with adults in mind, not children.  I felt I didn’t
belong there; it wasn’t intended for my use.

Secondly, I detected a certain condescending attitude towards younger members.
They seemed to be slightly ostracized, and younger members were often ridiculed
for their grammar and spelling.

Finally, and most importantly, I saw that MOCs built by younger members were
judged differently then MOCs by adults.

Basically, it seemed to me that the kids were treated a whole lot differently
than the adults, and I didn’t like it.  I didn’t want to post a MOC, and read
comments like “that’s good, for a kid”

So when I decided to join in the discussion, I vowed to act in the most
adult-like manner possible.  I would not reveal my age in any way.  I would be a
mystery, and I figured people would simply assume that I was older.

When I joined Lugnet, I was around 13 too.  And now I'm 15.
At first, I just joined as the little immature kid I was, posting a bad
rendering into .trains and then posting crummy webcam pics into .castle (oddly
enough, after a month I've never really built anything besides space MOCs) and
using the leverage of my age to get responses.  But after a while, I decided
that wasn't for me.  I wanted to be a true member, not the resident Kid of
.Space.  I've tried to keep a low profile about my age, although the information
is already out, so I don't deny it.

I learned some HTML skills, then some PHP skills.  I also learned image editing,
and saved up for a nice digital camera.  The end result was my website
(http://deepspace.jhkruer.com) which I co-made with Zac Soden (who seems to of
recently gone up in smoke) and which I've always been to lazy to finish.

I feel happy when people say, 'really?  You're only 15?'  I've even had a few
people say they don't believe my age- teens can't write in PHP, compile their
own programs and engage in digital photography.  I like proving them wrong.

But in the end, I like Lugnet and the related AFOl resources simply because the
people are mostly adults- or adult-like.  The idiot-kids at high skool get
really boring and stupid in comparison to the adults who reveal their immature
side on the net.  I love Lugnet.  Even though I've been rather absent as of
late-sorry!  I'm still building when I can though, don't worry.

/me goes back into lurking...

-JHK