 People / Teens / 8
Re: Why I kept my age a secret
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people.teens, lugnet.space, lugnet.build, lugnet.castle
Date:
Fri, 24 Sep 2004 01:55:19 GMT

In lugnet.people.teens, Kevin Blocksidge wrote:
Hey everybody. (follow-up to the first post in .teen
http://news.lugnet.com/people/teens/?n=3)

I discovered Lugnet when I was about 13.  It was the single coolest website I
had ever seen.  I wanted to join in as soon as possible, but while lurking, I
realized certain things.

Firstly, Lugnet was designed with adults in mind, not children.  I felt I didn’t
belong there; it wasn’t intended for my use.

Secondly, I detected a certain condescending attitude towards younger members.
They seemed to be slightly ostracized, and younger members were often ridiculed
for their grammar and spelling.

Finally, and most importantly, I saw that MOCs built by younger members were
judged differently then MOCs by adults.

Maybe part of it was that .space is simply BIG.  Maybe part of it was that I've
split energies between models and the Starship game.  I don't know.  But I just
didn't feel the warm reception others seemed to get.

Don't get me wrong--I'm not complaining (too much).  Lugnet is still the coolest
place on the net, with the most awesome people on the net.

You know, it just occured to me: people get a mentality where they think that
they only want to spend time critiquing the truly stupendous models.  I'm all
for praise where praise is due, but the models that really need critiques don't
always get them.

So my message is this, people:  If you see something you can *help* with, please
offer your sage advice to us young(er) builders.

.space forever.  ;-)

Andrew

*Please note the multiple newsgroups are included so that more than just the
.teen group sees this one--I believe my point is universal for all themes.