 People / Teens / 7
Subject:
Why I kept my age a secret
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people.teens
Date:
Fri, 24 Sep 2004 00:19:27 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

Hey everybody. (follow-up to the first post in .teen
http://news.lugnet.com/people/teens/?n=3)

I discovered Lugnet when I was about 13.  It was the single coolest website I
had ever seen.  I wanted to join in as soon as possible, but while lurking, I
realized certain things.

Firstly, Lugnet was designed with adults in mind, not children.  I felt I didn’t
belong there; it wasn’t intended for my use.

Secondly, I detected a certain condescending attitude towards younger members.
They seemed to be slightly ostracized, and younger members were often ridiculed
for their grammar and spelling.

Finally, and most importantly, I saw that MOCs built by younger members were
judged differently then MOCs by adults.

Basically, it seemed to me that the kids were treated a whole lot differently
than the adults, and I didn’t like it.  I didn’t want to post a MOC, and read
comments like “that’s good, for a kid”

So when I decided to join in the discussion, I vowed to act in the most
adult-like manner possible.  I would not reveal my age in any way.  I would be a
mystery, and I figured people would simply assume that I was older.

To make the illusion work, I also had to make sure my MOCs were up-to-par.  I
observed, saved pictures of interesting techniques, and absorbed as much
knowledge and skill I possibly could.  Between my discovery of Lugnet and the
posting of my first MOC, I built often, practicing and gaining experience.

It took about 3 years to finally make something I was proud enough to show
(http://news.lugnet.com/castle/?n=15621).

It worked.  I was viewed just like everyone else.  My MOCs received the same
praise and criticism as everyone else’s.

I first revealed my true age to my fellow admins at Classic-Castle, and was
pleased to read that all but Troy C thought I was between 20 and 25, not the 16
I actually was.

Anyway, I forgot what this post was about.  Perhaps it gives validity to having
a .teens.  Perhaps it shows how I, and perhaps many others, felt that teenagers
did not belong.

FYI, I now believe it’s the maturity displayed, not the actual age, that
matters.

Re: Why I kept my age a secret
lugnet.people.teens, lugnet.space, lugnet.build, lugnet.castle
Date:
Fri, 24 Sep 2004 01:55:19 GMT

In lugnet.people.teens, Kevin Blocksidge wrote:
Hey everybody. (follow-up to the first post in .teen
http://news.lugnet.com/people/teens/?n=3)

I discovered Lugnet when I was about 13.  It was the single coolest website I
had ever seen.  I wanted to join in as soon as possible, but while lurking, I
realized certain things.

Firstly, Lugnet was designed with adults in mind, not children.  I felt I didn’t
belong there; it wasn’t intended for my use.

Secondly, I detected a certain condescending attitude towards younger members.
They seemed to be slightly ostracized, and younger members were often ridiculed
for their grammar and spelling.

Finally, and most importantly, I saw that MOCs built by younger members were
judged differently then MOCs by adults.

Maybe part of it was that .space is simply BIG.  Maybe part of it was that I've
split energies between models and the Starship game.  I don't know.  But I just
didn't feel the warm reception others seemed to get.

Don't get me wrong--I'm not complaining (too much).  Lugnet is still the coolest
place on the net, with the most awesome people on the net.

You know, it just occured to me: people get a mentality where they think that
they only want to spend time critiquing the truly stupendous models.  I'm all
for praise where praise is due, but the models that really need critiques don't
always get them.

So my message is this, people:  If you see something you can *help* with, please
offer your sage advice to us young(er) builders.

.space forever.  ;-)

Andrew

*Please note the multiple newsgroups are included so that more than just the
.teen group sees this one--I believe my point is universal for all themes.

Re: Why I kept my age a secret
lugnet.people.teens, lugnet.space, lugnet.build, lugnet.castle
Date:
Fri, 24 Sep 2004 03:15:30 GMT

snip
You know, it just occured to me: people get a mentality where they think that
they only want to spend time critiquing the truly stupendous models.  I'm all
for praise where praise is due, but the models that really need critiques don't
always get them.

So my message is this, people:  If you see something you can *help* with, please
offer your sage advice to us young(er) builders.

.space forever.  ;-)

Andrew

*Please note the multiple newsgroups are included so that more than just the
.teen group sees this one--I believe my point is universal for all themes.

I think this important to note. I think alot of us, or at least myself, get
stuck in a "if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all"
mentality. I will keep this in mind and try and do more critiquing... says the
guy who hasn't posted in a couple weeks because he's too busy with work and
school.

Dan Rubin

Re: Why I kept my age a secret
lugnet.people.teens, lugnet.space, lugnet.build, lugnet.castle
Date:
Fri, 24 Sep 2004 05:42:27 GMT

In lugnet.people.teens, Daniel Rubin wrote:

I think this important to note. I think alot of us, or at least myself, get stuck in a “if you don’t have something nice to say, don’t say anything at all” mentality. I will keep this in mind and try and do more critiquing... says the guy who hasn’t posted in a couple weeks because he’s too busy with work and school.

Critiquing is tough. I’ve been giving ad-hoc critiques of almost everything for years and I still haven’t got the hang of it... in fact, I often get the feeling that it has worked against my favour. I don’t think I’d recommend it. Then again, maybe you’re talking about something slightly different!

Cheers,

Re: Why I kept my age a secret