 People / Teens / 7
6  |  8
Subject:
Why I kept my age a secret
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people.teens
Date:
Fri, 24 Sep 2004 00:19:27 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

Hey everybody. (follow-up to the first post in .teen
http://news.lugnet.com/people/teens/?n=3)

I discovered Lugnet when I was about 13.  It was the single coolest website I
had ever seen.  I wanted to join in as soon as possible, but while lurking, I
realized certain things.

Firstly, Lugnet was designed with adults in mind, not children.  I felt I didn’t
belong there; it wasn’t intended for my use.

Secondly, I detected a certain condescending attitude towards younger members.
They seemed to be slightly ostracized, and younger members were often ridiculed
for their grammar and spelling.

Finally, and most importantly, I saw that MOCs built by younger members were
judged differently then MOCs by adults.

Basically, it seemed to me that the kids were treated a whole lot differently
than the adults, and I didn’t like it.  I didn’t want to post a MOC, and read
comments like “that’s good, for a kid”

So when I decided to join in the discussion, I vowed to act in the most
adult-like manner possible.  I would not reveal my age in any way.  I would be a
mystery, and I figured people would simply assume that I was older.

To make the illusion work, I also had to make sure my MOCs were up-to-par.  I
observed, saved pictures of interesting techniques, and absorbed as much
knowledge and skill I possibly could.  Between my discovery of Lugnet and the
posting of my first MOC, I built often, practicing and gaining experience.

It took about 3 years to finally make something I was proud enough to show
(http://news.lugnet.com/castle/?n=15621).

It worked.  I was viewed just like everyone else.  My MOCs received the same
praise and criticism as everyone else’s.

I first revealed my true age to my fellow admins at Classic-Castle, and was
pleased to read that all but Troy C thought I was between 20 and 25, not the 16
I actually was.

Anyway, I forgot what this post was about.  Perhaps it gives validity to having
a .teens.  Perhaps it shows how I, and perhaps many others, felt that teenagers
did not belong.

FYI, I now believe it’s the maturity displayed, not the actual age, that
matters.