 Castle / 18747
Re: Black Falcon and Crusader Trebuchets
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Thu, 4 Dec 2003 15:16:39 GMT

In lugnet.castle, James Brink wrote:
<snip>

I worked for quite awhile to get the falcon version to work. I can get good
velocity on the sling by adding larger counterweights, but the projectile either
flys out too early or sticks in the pouch. I think with a non-LEGO pouch and a
lot of patience I could make it work.
<snip>
I'm not much of a "Castle guy," but I love trebuchets.  Yours are definitely
medieval-looking, although kinda small for scale (but isn't most everything in
minifig scale?).

Suggestions for actually getting it to fire:
- your counterweight should be at least 10x projectile weight (hard to achieve
at this scale). You can "cheat" by stuffing the CW elements with lead - go buy
some pellet-gun pellets at Wal Mart and stuff 'em in with a stick; they are soft
enough to pack in there (but won't ever come out...
- you might have better luck fixing a string to the projectile, rather than
using a "real" sling arrangement (keep the sling for display - it's GREAT).
- adjustment of the launching angle requires an adjustable-angle release pin -
something that's very hard to do in Lego, especially in scale.  You can
accomplish some adjustment by playing with sling/string length (start with the
length of the "long end" of the arm (axle to end) and make small adjustments.
Again, it will be difficult in scale.

Good luck!
James Wilson
Dallas, TX