 Castle / 1860
Re: Which is the best Lego Castle set ever?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Mon, 24 Jan 2000 15:20:35 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Marcelo H. Sola writes:
Which is the best Lego castle set ever? I wonder if it is 6090 Royal Knight's
Castle.... But some mid 80s to early 90s sets are very good indeed (from what
I manage to appreciate in on-line catalogs). Too bad that was my Dark Age....

I agree that 6090 was a good castle, probably the best castle in the last 8
years or so (since 6086 Black Knight's Castle).

In lugnet.castle, Bryan Wong writes:

I'd say the original Yellow Castle is the best.  The fact that it didn't use
wall pieces (not that I'm against them) means the pieces in that set are most
versatile.  However, I think it would've looked pretty good in gray instead...

Bryan

I agree that the Yellow Castle is the best functionally (as far as use of
pieces and ability to make other creations)  But I feel it is not the best
visually.  I don't think yellow is particularly the best color for a castle.
Grey or black are better.

This is a ranking of my favorite castles:

1. 6080 King's Castle (one of my first two castles) - The most majestic
looking castle in my opinion.  Biggest castle (by base plate), and almost the
biggest piece wise (of the flat base castles).

2. 6085 Black Monarch's Castle - Very majestic looking, and very black.  Very
good!  One more piece than 6080, but smaller base.

3. 6074 Black Falcon's Fortress (the other of my first two castles) Best
feature is the black roofed peak.

4. 6073 Knight's Castle (never had it, and still don't, but have always wanted
it) I personally think that the red brick outline of the gate looks a little
strange, as well as the hinges that show on the front.

5. 6086 Black Knight's Castle - The best castle to use a raised baseplate.  I
prefer the standard plates to build on.  The raised ones are useful, but
rather restrictive (although good for making a Castle on a mountain)

6. 6090 Royal Knight's Castle - This brought me back to castle, after Dragon
Masters Pushed me away.  Unfortunately, Fright Knights pushed me away again.
I will stick with completing my older castle colletion unless they resurrect
the old 6080, 6085 style of castles.

7. 6081 King's Mountain Fortress - This is really not very a majestic looking
castle compared to it's flat base counterpart, 6080.  The smallest big castle
peice wise.

I left the Yellow Castle out of my list because I feel that it is in an
entirely different group, and I don't want to try to compare this classic
castle with the more standard lego castles.

Feel free to point out any good castles that I missed.

-David