 Castle / 1862
Re: Which is the best Lego Castle set ever?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Mon, 24 Jan 2000 16:26:27 GMT

In lugnet.castle, David Carriker writes:
In lugnet.castle, Marcelo H. Sola writes:
Which is the best Lego castle set ever? I wonder if it is 6090 Royal Knight's
Castle.... But some mid 80s to early 90s sets are very good indeed (from what
I manage to appreciate in on-line catalogs). Too bad that was my Dark Age....
This is a ranking of my favorite castles:
[snipping a bunch]
1. 6080 King's Castle (one of my first two castles) - The most majestic
2. 6085 Black Monarch's Castle - Very majestic looking, and very black.  Very
3. 6074 Black Falcon's Fortress (the other of my first two castles) Best
4. 6073 Knight's Castle (never had it, and still don't, but have always wanted
5. 6086 Black Knight's Castle - The best castle to use a raised baseplate.  I
6. 6090 Royal Knight's Castle - This brought me back to castle, after Dragon
7. 6081 King's Mountain Fortress - This is really not very a majestic looking
[continual snips]
Feel free to point out any good castles that I missed.

Let's see... DaveE's top 11: (pretty much all the large castles ever.. depends
what you call a castle, really...)

1. 6080 King's Castle (664 pcs)
  - great set, lots of pieces, very elegant, well constructed, openable...
2. 3075 Castle (779 pcs)
  - only bad part is the color. Great selection of pieces, big, openable, etc
3. 6086 Black Knight's Castle (569 pcs)
  - Very cool, lots of features, looks cool, etc. Only problem is the
    baseplate!
4. 6090 Royal Knight's Castle (743 pcs)
  - Very large, LOTS of features, bad: baseplate, lots of holes in the
    structure
5. 6085 Black Monarch's Castle (665 pcs)
  - A mimic of King's Castle, but for the worse, I felt. I never liked the
    black with grey trim as much... plus there are some 'holes' in the
    construction
6. 6074 Black Falcon's Fortress (435 pcs)
  - very cool, very elegant, great design, etc. Only downside is size...
7. 6073 Knight's Castle (408 pcs)
  - A very good interpretation of a small fortress-- good color scheme, but
    small, and the red gate was a little odd...
8. 6097 Night Lord's Castle (598 pcs)
  - Great piece selection, but hideous from the outside. Also had a good
    interior... The other thing to like is its versatility. Very modular=cool
9. 6081 King's Mountain Fortress (429 pcs)
  - Design is ok, good semi-rare piece selection (black falcon, maiden, 3x3
    diagonal bricks, arches, plate armor), bad baseplate, odd layout
10. 6091 King Leo's Castle (524 pcs)
  - Kinda neat design, really bad pieces, interesting interior, but not great,
    and an ugly baseplate
11. 6082 Fire Breathing Fortress (393 pcs)
  - Kinda dumb. Not much room for battlements, towers, etc... less of a castle
    and more of a hidden forest fort. It had some neat features, but otherwise,
    I wasn't overly impressed with it

Of course that's just kind of a general feeling... a bunch of 'em are really
tough to judge... The order could easily switch around a little... But that's
my general feeling

DaveE