 Castle / 1868
Re: Which is the best Lego Castle set ever?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Mon, 24 Jan 2000 20:12:13 GMT

Marcelo H. Sola wrote in message ...
Which is the best Lego castle set ever? I wonder if it is 6090 Royal • Knight's
Castle.... But some mid 80s to early 90s sets are very good indeed (from • what
I manage to appreciate in on-line catalogs). Too bad that was my Dark
Age....

Hmm, having just recently built a bunch of castles, I've got some ideas. I
haven't yet built all the large castles, though I think I have all of them
except 375/6075, 6073, and 6085 (I have 6080, 6074, 6090, 6091/6098, 6081?
[perhaps, have instructions, don't have the CRAPP, but can substitute],
6086, 6097, 6093, 6079, and 6082).

So far I have built:

6080: 3 copies
--------------

I got these from a kid entering his dark ages. I had purchased one from him
that he had separated out, and was interested in another, but by them he had
given up on separating out the sets and sold the rest of the unsorted bricks
to me, so I had the joy of separating out the sets, and am still working on
it, I still have 3 copier paper boxes mostly full of bricks).

This is a nice castle. I like the built up gate and the draw bridge.

6074: 2 copies
--------------

I got these from the same kid, one separated, one in the unsorted box.
Unfortunately the 2nd copy is missing a few bits (fortunately the possibly
difficult bits are black 2x2x3 extreme slope corners, which I recently got
about 40 of off eBay).

This one is a little too small. I like the yellow half timbered wall, but it
looks out of place in this castle.

6090:
-----

Definitely the best of the recent castles. The first one since the 80s to
have a decent sized defending force. Also a much better CRAPP than the other
CRAPP based castles.

6091:
-----

I like this castle better than some of the others who have reviewed it. It's
a little sparse, but it actually has a decent layout, just needs more wall
height. Nice use of the CPAVP (Crummy Pit and Valley Plate) which was first
seen in 5986.

6087:
-----

As some have mentioned, at least it doesn't use a CRAPP. It does have some
good ideas, and is certainly the tallest castle. It's got too many doors
though.

6093:
-----

Well, how do you compare the Ninja castles to the European ones? I do like
the wall piece, it makes for substantial looking walls (and eliminates those
ground floor windows). The new door is nice, much beefier than the arched
castle doors. Again, a recent castle built without a CRAPP.

6079:
-----

While not as large as the other castles, it's still built on a 32x32
footprint. It's a fairly nice design, though the little archer's outpost
would have been better off if it had been rigged up in a tree (and a 3rd
tree would really help out the forest appearance).

I don't have a 6085 (though I've got instructions for it - came with one of
my 6086s...), and haven't built 6086 (I was going to, until I finally
figured out that the reason I couldn't find the instructions was because the
6086 that I had that I thought I had instructions for came with 6085
instructions!).

Looking through 6085's instructions, I definitely would not rate it as the
top castle. The two back towers are overhung outside the wall, which would
seem to me to be ripe for coming crashing down with the first catapult shot.
Then there's the back walkway which has floor to waist high holes.

Looking over 6086 and 6075 instructions on Brickshelf, I think I'd have to
rate 6080 as the best castle. 6075 comes very close though. It's interesting
to see the genesis of the castle wall piece in 6075. One good thing I note
about the castle wall piece, it's a brick taller than the yellow castle
walls.

Frank