 Castle / 18302
Re: Norman Keep
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Tue, 21 Oct 2003 13:57:04 GMT

Kai,

I like the moat as a natural "defenceline" the most ! :)

I'm not sure if you understood, the "motte" (as opposed to "moat") was the
steep, often man made made, hill that early castles were often built on top of.
I know that sometimes when a wooden motte and bailey castle (wooden fort with a
big wooden tower on top of a hill/motte) was replaced by a stone castle, there
were problems with the stone keep being so heavy that it sunk into the motte,
and this is what I was refering to. It probably depended a lot on how big and
heavy the keep was, how big the motte was and - if the motte was man made, if
the earth had had time to settle properly first, which would have taken many
years. I hope thatmakes sense.

On the topic of moats, I would love to build a castle with one, but I don't know
if it really is doable, are there any pics of lego castles with moats?

Expand the castle : what about a nice siege scene with lots of evil knight in
front of the castle :)

Eventually it would be great to do a siege display. Right now I'm trying to
figure how to do the curtain wall, which buildings I want to fit in, and that
sort of thing. It all has to fit on my dresser in my room, which means it needs
to fit onto a 2 by 4 baseplate size area.

Magnus