 Castle / 18298
Re: Norman Keep
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Tue, 21 Oct 2003 12:36:01 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Magnus Lauglo wrote:
Kai,

Thanks for the comments.

yes, very nice moc !
the interior is very cool - the "chimney" looks great !

Thanks, its a design I've used ina couple of MOCs before.

why did you use brown and no grey plates for the roof ? I thought the
norman`s build them out of stone or lead.
But maybe an early keep... :) very nice compact work.

I had the impression that ceilings/floors weren't generally made out of stone
until around 1200 or so. I'm sure it would have varied as all castles were
different.

The keep isn't completely historically accurate. It was pointed out to me later
that machicolations, murder holes etc, might not have appeared by the Norman
period. I've also hear conflicting things about whether a stone keep was
actually safe on top of a motte (represented by the raised baseplate), or
whether it woud have been too heavy.

I like the moat as a natural "defenceline" the most ! :)

I know that some mottes were topped by a
shell keep instead, which is like a sort of very high and think circular wall
and is less heavy.  But overall I'm quite pleased with it, now I just need to
figure out how I want to expand my castle.

cheers

Magnus

Expand the castle : what about a nice siege scene with lots of evil knight in
front of the castle :)

Kai