 Castle / 18246
  Norman Keep

OK, I hope I get this picture image thing right... Here are a few pics of my newest MOC, a compact keep which is the first part of my new castle project. Thanks to Abe Friedman for taking pictures at last weekened's WAMALUG meeting. The keep from (...) (21 years ago, 14-Oct-03, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Norman Keep

Hi, yes, very nice moc ! the interior is very cool - the "chimney" looks great ! why did you use brown and no grey plates for the roof ? I thought the norman`s build them out of stone or lead. But maybe an early keep... :) very nice compact work. (...) (21 years ago, 16-Oct-03, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Norman Keep

Kai, Thanks for the comments. (...) Thanks, its a design I've used ina couple of MOCs before. (...) I had the impression that ceilings/floors weren't generally made out of stone until around 1200 or so. I'm sure it would have varied as all castles (...) (21 years ago, 16-Oct-03, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Norman Keep

(...) whatever, but it looks good to me. a very dynamic castle. thanks for sharing!! -lenny (21 years ago, 16-Oct-03, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Norman Keep

(...) Magnus, this is very nice! Cool keep, considering it was built on a CRAPP (Crummy Ramp and Pit Plate) plate. For some reason, the extra-tiny turrets feel so appropriate for this. The way you made those arrow windows above the door is (...) (21 years ago, 16-Oct-03, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Norman Keep

Hey Magnus, Very cool. Could you show some detail pictures to show how you made the arrow slits? Bruce. (21 years ago, 16-Oct-03, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Norman Keep

(...) Dean, Thanks for your kind words. Funny, I have always liked that baseplate myself, it gives the illusion of a castle being up on a hill of some sort, and I find it tends to work with buildings of this size. I wanted something which would be (...) (21 years ago, 17-Oct-03, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Norman Keep

(...) Bruce, Hey, don't have a detailed pic of that, but those were really easy. I just used the 1 by 2 plate with a single stud on the top, and offset a 3 stud long brick over a four stud brick, and then built it up 2 or 3 bricks or so. I hope this (...) (21 years ago, 17-Oct-03, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Norman Keep

Super Cool Magnus, there are a lot of new ideas and concepts in this picture, and I love every one. The arches, the arrow slits, and murder holes built into the facades are really awesome. This is one of the coolest things I've seen in a while. (...) (21 years ago, 18-Oct-03, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Norman Keep

(...) Nice work. I like the wood floors in the towers. Also, an attrative use of that baseplate. I look forward to the finished product. Jason Spears | (URL) BrickCentral> | (URL) MichLUG> (21 years ago, 20-Oct-03, to lugnet.castle, FTX)

  Re: Norman Keep

(...) I like the moat as a natural "defenceline" the most ! :) (...) Expand the castle : what about a nice siege scene with lots of evil knight in front of the castle :) Kai (21 years ago, 21-Oct-03, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Norman Keep

Kai, (...) I'm not sure if you understood, the "motte" (as opposed to "moat") was the steep, often man made made, hill that early castles were often built on top of. I know that sometimes when a wooden motte and bailey castle (wooden fort with a big (...) (21 years ago, 21-Oct-03, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Norman Keep

(...) I realy knew what you ment, the early wooden "castles" where build on motte's - until they were to big/heavy... as you described before. I just wrote my favorite kind of making the surrounding of a castle - a moat. :) (...) yes - there are (...) (21 years ago, 23-Oct-03, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Norman Keep

(...) Shoot. I wrote a big long post after going through and finding pictures on Brickshelf, but my browser crashed and the post was lost. Grr. Anyway, I can think of 3 ways to build moats: 1. Castle on green baseplates, blue plates on top of the (...) (21 years ago, 23-Oct-03, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Norman Keep

(...) I guess something like that would work with your keep, but I dunno if I'll be able to make a moat on mine, on the outside of a curtain wall. BTW I never got around to complimenting on your keep, I love the way it opens up and the way you've (...) (21 years ago, 23-Oct-03, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Norman Keep

(...) I hear ya, I hate when that happens to me. (...) These are the two solutions I'm most intersted in, but obviously they are the hardest to get right. I've also been thinking of a dry moat, filled with stakes perhaps, but this would possibly be (...) (21 years ago, 23-Oct-03, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Norman Keep

(...) That'd be really cool. Maybe a bunch of spears set into 1x1 round bricks stuck to the bottom of the moat. (...) Yeah, I generally avoid the raised baseplates because it's hard to get them to fit with the rest of the landscape. Oh, one thing on (...) (21 years ago, 23-Oct-03, to lugnet.castle)