 Castle / 1694
Re: Building a giant castle
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Wed, 19 Jan 2000 20:09:57 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Bill Jackson writes:
I have just taken down my collection of about 30 castle sets, most of them
being Royal Knights, and I'm about to go to work building a giant castle like
Dan Jezek's Skull Kraag Keep or Pawel Nawareciwcz's Strombrachter.  But I
think that my measly collection of 30 sets (probably around 5000 pieces) isn't
enough to build one of these wonders.  About how many pieces should you have
before undertaking the task of building a huge fortress?  I have heard that
the best advice for building a castle is to have tons of the basic block
buckets.  Is this true?

Yup.  But with 5000 mostly castle pieces, you should still be able to do a
decent-sized castle - maybe about half the size of Strombrachter? (Pawel - how
many pieces are in there, anyway?)

As a reference:

This was done with only a few castle sets (maybe 10-15, at a guess), and a few
brick tubs.

http://www.shades-of-night.com/lego/mm1.jpg

This one is done with about twice as many sets, hardly any bricks from tubs
(mostly black bricks from several tubs, but hardly anything else), and (trying
to remember) about 15-20 5145 (grey bricks service pack).

http://www.shades-of-night.com/lego/mm2.jpg

My current project (photo badly out of date, and I do mean *badly*) is bigger
by a factor.  Around 40-50 sets, quite a bit of red (couple tubs worth), the
equivalent of about 100 5144 (black bricks service pack), mostly from tubs,
and around 200-250 5145's.

http://www.shades-of-night.com/lego/const.jpg

James
http://www.shades-of-night.com/lego/