 Castle / 1698
Re: Building a giant castle
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Wed, 19 Jan 2000 21:28:55 GMT

best models aren't cool because they're huge, they're cool because they've
got attention to detail, cool stylistic features, etc.. (all of which
Strombracther and Bloodstone have!) Just build what you can, and keep thinking
in the back of your mind "Someday... someday..." :) And in the meanwhile, buy
lots of castle sets and grey service packs!

Well said.

To be honest, I have been fascinated by Eric's Models recently, so from PERSONAL
observation, I have to say that building something small (see church) and giving
it great detail, makes people appreciate it more.  Sure building a huge castle
is fun, but towards the end of it, you get very anxious to put it online and you
hurry details ... with smaller projects, you tend to be very meticulous.

By the way - Strombrachter became a big castle as a collection of smaller
projects - keep that in mind;)  Again - that's what I'm hoping that Eric will
bless us with (he's got the Inn, the Market, the Church ... now let's see if he
can crank out something that will withstand an attack;)

Also - the castle walls are perfect for an outside wall (BURPS on the bottom,
walls on the top - two layer wall), while I would use regular bricks (if you
have them) in bigger qualities for the buildings (The Devil's Gap is almost all
brick, and it's definitely one of my favorite models).

The key is not to think big right away (Strombrachter took about 2 years off and
on), because that's a sure fire way to get discouraged quickly.  Build, post,
build, post, etc.  On the other hand, The Gryphon's Nest took about a week of
intense work (and plenty of College Football).  I doubt that that can classified
as "Big Castle" though.

-- pn