 Castle / 1691

Subject:
Building a giant castle
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Wed, 19 Jan 2000 19:35:19 GMT

I have just taken down my collection of about 30 castle sets, most of them
being Royal Knights, and I'm about to go to work building a giant castle like
Dan Jezek's Skull Kraag Keep or Pawel Nawareciwcz's Strombrachter.  But I
think that my measly collection of 30 sets (probably around 5000 pieces) isn't
enough to build one of these wonders.  About how many pieces should you have
before undertaking the task of building a huge fortress?  I have heard that
the best advice for building a castle is to have tons of the basic block
buckets.  Is this true?

Re: Building a giant castle
I have just taken down my collection of about 30 castle sets, most of them
being Royal Knights, and I'm about to go to work building a giant castle like
Dan Jezek's Skull Kraag Keep or Pawel Nawareciwcz's Strombrachter.  But I
think that my measly collection of 30 sets (probably around 5000 pieces) isn't
enough to build one of these wonders.  About how many pieces should you have
before undertaking the task of building a huge fortress?  I have heard that
the best advice for building a castle is to have tons of the basic block
buckets.  Is this true?

Well, I've built some pretty big castles(1), and I just have a couple of the
major castle sets (plus dozens of the smaller ones).  Can you build something
like Strombrachter?  Probably not, but a modest sized castle shouldn't be
difficult.  As for having basic buckets, dunno.  I don't see much use for red,
blue, and yellow pieces, except for filler.  The best advice I can give is to
just experiment.  You'll find out what works for you with the pieces you have.

Jeff

1 - By my standards.  Nothing nearly as large as Strombrachter, though.

Re: Building a giant castle
[...]

I'd have to agree... it all depends on what you want... if you look at
something like Strombrachter, you'll notice that 80-90% of the walls are all
castle wall sections. That helps a lot, since you don't need to build them out
of actual bricks, like castle Bloodstone.

Also, you might have color preferences-- I've got grey, dark grey, black, and a
couple white castle wall sections, and the same with the corners... If I were
using the castle wall sections, I'd probably try just to use one color...
(likewise with plain bricks, but I might throw in some dk grey or maybe tan for
random coloration)

I don't know about having basic buckets, though... I probably wouldn't use red,
yellow or blue in my castles (white maybe, black maybe)... I'd say the best
thing to get are grey service packs. Lots and lots of grey service packs. I
recnently built a huge scale model of a music school using mainly grey, white,
and black bricks (and black plates) and I think I used between 15,000 and
20,000 bricks (it was about 3 feet by 5 feet, and was somewhere around 15-30
bricks high on most walls depending on where you measured (some parts were over
50 high at the peaks of the roof)... And that was all basic bricks-- no
specialty pieces or anything, so that piece estimate is probably a little high.
Using decorations and interiors for minifigs, the piece count would no doubt
rise.

For the most part, though, I'd say build what you can, or build what you think
you can. Not many of us can build something on the scale of Strombrachter...
someday you may be able to build something that size, but don't think you can't
build a huge fortress without having it be 7 feet in each direction... The
best models aren't cool because they're huge, they're cool because they've
got attention to detail, cool stylistic features, etc.. (all of which
Strombracther and Bloodstone have!) Just build what you can, and keep thinking
in the back of your mind "Someday... someday..." :) And in the meanwhile, buy
lots of castle sets and grey service packs!

DaveE

Re: Building a giant castle